Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've only been playing a few months with a rented YAS 23 Alto. I was wondering if the neck I'm using is a YAS 23 neck or some other brand that the rental store threw on in its place. The logo on the neck does not appear to be Yamaha's.

Diskman50

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
1,020 Posts
it's a Vito, probably the model that Yamaha did for them, which is identical but for the lacquer and engravings (and logos) to the YAS-23.
Do you have intonation problems?

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Since I'm only playing a few months it's hard for me to tell. My teacher says my sound is good but when I check the sax against a tuner I'm usually a little flat on the low range and pretty sharp on the highs (d2 and above). It's probably 95% me and 5% sax. On my next lesson my teacher is bringing in a new Unison, I think that's the brand, for me to compare to the Yas. She's not doing this to pit one brand against another but to demonstrate how a sax that's set up correctly will sound and against my rental.

Diskman50

·
Just a guy who plays saxophone.
4,446 Posts
Bring your tuner to your next lesson. Get warmed up and do your usual tuning routine, then have your teacher look at the tuner while you can't even see it: play some long tones and some slow intervals. She will know good intervals for you to play. This will stop you from making subconscious adjustments to make the tuner happy. Probably better too for her to play the horn, IF she is a sax player.

Also, having played just a few months: when she says your sound is good, she probably means that that your tone in general isn't horrible. I have heard many players who have a great tone, but don't play in tune...Some of them play for a living. :bluewink:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts