Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,432 Posts
Sure looks like it could be a Yani with that huge bell brace ring.

·
Forum Contributor 2015-2017
3,252 Posts
Lots of similarities to the two 1978 Yany tenors i am looking at.
Pinky table, low Bb and B guard, high F# key, etc. Bell brace too.
But ...
G# key is different. No lyre insignia and "Japan" above the SN.
Does not look like a Yany neck. On several counts.

How does it play??

Dat
Sax
Man

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,870 Posts
if this is a Yanagisawa stencil it is a T500 ( what’s a T50, you may mean a T5 but this is not). The neck is not like anything that I have ever seen

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,870 Posts
Musica is hardly a proprietary name ( Like Royal, Emperor and many other names), , there is also the Musica Steyr made by Amati and sold by an Austrian company .

·
Registered
8,031 Posts
If it doesn’t have the lyre somewhere it’s not a Yanagisawa. Probably early Taiwan or Heimer.
I had something like that with an Olds sticker on it. It actually played really well for a $500 horn.
That being said, yanagisawa was all over the place back then with stencils. The engraving looks like my T4 that has Astro engraved on it with a similar flourish underneath.

·
Registered
469 Posts
In that case, someone went to a lot of trouble to make something that looks exactly like a Yanagisawa T-6 . . . except without the logo's of course.

The serial number is in the Yanagisawa format and suggests year of manufacture was 1978, a busy decade for the company's stencil department.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Yanagisawa did make some stencils for Musica, but they also would always have their logo on the instrument somewhere. This instrument looks like a copy or a relacquer. The neck is almost certainly not a Yanagisawa neck. The side F# and high F# keys also are not the standard for Yanagisawa.

I think this might be one that was made in China or Taiwan copying the Yanagisawa (I forget which company did some of the early copies of Yanagisawa sopranos), but I don't have enough evidence either way.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts