Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious... I just saw this, and I realized I've never actually seen one of these, but believe it is one.
I think the "Stretch" S/N range I got from someone was ~220xxx - ~235xxx.
What jumped out at me was the oddball Bis Bb key. Also, the top octave mechanism looks different from my 203xxx 18M.
The seller states that they had to cut down the Link HR mouthpiece to clear the octave key and "bring it up to pitch", though my understanding is it's more complicated than that to get the right mouthpiece that allows one of these to actually play in tune.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/253903399688?ul_noapp=true

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I should have said the top octave key arm and pad cup look different, not so much the mechanism... though I only gave it a quick once-over.

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
My main soprano is a Stretchy, SN 226xxx. On my Stretchy the SN is enclosed in a shield engraving, which was a feature of the Stretchy (though not entirely exclusively). I can't read the SN on the advertised horn, but it is enclosed in an engraved shield. My own Stretchy has the same teardrop bis Bb as is seen on this advertised horn – Conn's NWII soprano had a tiny circular mother-of-pearl touche here.

As you've noticed, this advertised horn has the improved octave key system which is found on the Stretchy..

On the other hand, the LH little finger C# key is wrong here: the touche is only half the size it should be, and has only one roller on it, whereas the NWII and Stretchy C# keys both have two rollers. This key is also misaligned: I reckon some accident happened to the original key, and this is a replacement.

All the same, I believe this is most probably a Stretchy. The best way to find out is to check its length. The Stretchy should measure 67cm without the mouthpiece; the NW II which preceded it measures around 64cm. If you're interested in this instrument, ask the seller to measure it for you.

The redesigning of the Stretchy produced an instrument far superior to the previous model, particularly with regard to intonation and tone; however, it came with a special short-chambered mouthpiece which more often than not got separated from the instrument over the years. My own Stretchy came with its original mouthpiece and is a real joy to play; unfortunately a standard modern soprano mouthpiece on a Stretchy will tend to blow flat at the top of the range and sharp at the bottom. I have heard that a C-soprano mouthpiece gives good results, but I haven't tried one myself, so can't comment.

The price the seller is asking for it is not excessive, but if the grey patina on the silver plating is anything to go by, it may not have been looked after and may need an overhaul. (Although the YouTube clip of classical style playing sounds pretty good…)

All things considered, if I was looking for a Stretchy I'd go for this one — provided I could access a suitable mouthpiece…

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The text of the ebay listing says it is S/N 224xxx so a Stretch model it is. I have a 203xxx horn that I like so I'm not interested in one of these.

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
The text of the ebay listing says it is S/N 224xxx so a Stretch model it is.
Not necessarily. Conn may well have kept producing the old straight soprano along with the new Stretchy. Check out paulwl's thread here. Paul is the expert in this area.

Certainly though, other evidence, such as the teardrop Bb bis key, suggests it is — but the C# key is a problem.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts