Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the input. It is always a big debate whether it is a relacq or not. I also think it is original, but just want to get more opinion.

About how do I like it, I got mixed feeling. I need to play on it more. I feel it has more resistance than my Buescher Super 400. When it arrives, it has a push in on the tube at the bell-body brace, and the body is slightly bent. However, the pads seems previously adjusted so I don't think it is caused during shipping. This is the first time I bought from Reverb, and it is by a music store, I am surprised I got this eBay-liked experience. I visit my tech twice. He straighten the body, change and refloat some pads. So, I believe there is no leaks, and concluded that the SDA is just more resistance.

But it has a much rounder and darker tone which I like. To do a comparison, I played my Buescher Super 400 yesterday. I will see if I have time to play the SDA tonight before I forget the Buescher sound.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
Assuming your Super 400 has a big bow like a TH&C, it should be pretty free-blowing.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Assuming your Super 400 has a big bow like a TH&C, it should be pretty free-blowing.
Yes, based on the information from internet, it is the same as TH&C without the fancy engravings.

I think this Buescher is the most free blowing tenor I ever had, maybe this is why I keep it and sold others. It seems the darkness of tone is somewhat proportional to resistance. The darker tone, the more resistance. Same think apply to alto. I have a Yanigasawa AWO2 with bronze body and it is the most free blowing alto I ever had. Compared to my Zephyr series II, the Zephyr has a much darker tone but not as free blowing.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I played the SDA again tonight. It has more resistance but not by a lot. The SDA sound more focus and has a rounder tone. For both, I am a bit struggle to get the low Bb out smoothly, but more so on the SDA. But I sure like the tone of SDA better. Seems I need more practice. =)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts