Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
26,274 Posts
The person selling it says it may possibly be a relaq.
Which literally translated means, IT'S A RELAQ!!!
Seriously... I didn't even have to look. But I did anyway... and yeah, it's been relacquered. Lots of clues, but the first and foremost is the above language describing the horn. What they're basically doing is feigning ignorance in hopes someone will make an uneducated bid hoping for the impossible. When they find out it's been relacquered, the seller can honestly state that they didn't guarantee original finish.

·
Indistinguishable Resident Buescher Bigot and Foru
8,588 Posts
Hmmm.... Yeah, there's lacquer in the engraving on the only clear shot of it.

That said, it appears to have been carefully done and the lacquer job is old. I wouldn't be afraid of it because of that and you really don't buy these horns as investments.

A very nice, relacq'd Series I 'Crat alto. Worth a lot more than the current bid price of $189.

Consigner says may need adjustments... Translation: it's a $400 to $600 overhaul on a $1200 horn (retail). Price your bid accordingly.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,289 Posts
If the price stays around there (it was around $189 when I checked the link), it will probably end up to be a real player. I wouldn't care about the re-laq issues at that price. I hope no one else comes in and takes it out from under you, based on this thread. DAVE

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
2,090 Posts
Yes, nicely done re-lacquer. It was often common practice, up until the 70's to re-lacquer a horn as part of a complete overhaul.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts