Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
2,844 Posts
Photos were taken in sunlight and that is the reason for the color. I can't see anything that makes me say relac.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,795 Posts
The real deal. You may not know, but the lacquer shades could vary by batch and age. The lighter-tinted ones are called 'blondes'.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
26,493 Posts
A five digit VI, eh? Looks original to me. Sharp engraving, and yeah, the pics were taken in natural sunlight. When you see a cherry vintage horn like that, you'd also expect to see a clean, well kept case and very little wear to the pearls. You've got both here as well. There's also the appearance of lacquer on the outside rim of the pads which likely means they're original. All good signs.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the input. Looks like I missed this deal while trying to figure out whether the lacquer is original or not. Unfortunately I couldn't go look at it in person as it was on the other side of the country. In the past I would have jumped up and bought it, but I've been burned 3 times by horns that ended up not being original. The good news is that I get to keep my money and my wife won't get mad at me for bringing in yet another horn that I don't need. Thanks again!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
26,493 Posts
Well, if anyone was selling this horn for under ten grand... or maybe under fifteen grand... it was likely a scam. But even if a legit deal, I wouldn't beat yourself up over it. It always pays to be careful when laying down serious bread, and there will always be another deal.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, if anyone was selling this horn for under ten grand... or maybe under fifteen grand... it was likely a scam. But even if a legit deal, I wouldn't beat yourself up over it. It always pays to be careful when laying down serious bread, and there will always be another deal.
Agree, 100%!

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,230 Posts
I agree that it looks like orig lacquer. But this horn is in such nice condition, at least cosmetically, that it will likely fetch top dollar. It's pretty close to 'collector' condition. So you'd be paying a premium for the cosmetics, as well as the '5-digit' thing. Unless you are fairly wealthy, I'd say you're lucky you passed on it. You can find a MkVI tenor with more lacquer wear that will be just as good, or possibly even better, for a player (as opposed to a collector) at a better price.

Still it's a beautiful horn; if I ever win the lottery I might look for something like that. But it won't happen since I don't waste money on such long odds as a lottery.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I agree that it looks like orig lacquer. But this horn is in such nice condition, at least cosmetically, that it will likely fetch top dollar. It's pretty close to 'collector' condition. So you'd be paying a premium for the cosmetics, as well as the '5-digit' thing. Unless you are fairly wealthy, I'd say you're lucky you passed on it. You can find a MkVI tenor with more lacquer wear that will be just as good, or possibly even better, for a player (as opposed to a collector) at a better price.

Still it's a beautiful horn; if I ever win the lottery I might look for something like that. But it won't happen since I don't waste money on such long odds as a lottery.
He wanted $8K for it. That's super cheap for it if it's original but too much as a relac in my mind, so I hesitated because I didn't want to make a mistake. You snooze you lose on deals like that, but if I had jumped and it ended up being a relac the pain would be worse!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts