Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
I don't think so either. I'm looking at the neck from my 49' SBA, and I see several differences. The biggest one that stands out to me is that the posts on the neck in your pic are diamond shaped, and mine are not. I've never known that to be a trait of Selmer horns (it is however a Keilwerth trait). The octave guide on yours appears to have more of a 'step' than mine. The guard on the underside of the neck on yours does not go down as far as mine. The flange between the neck and tenon on yours appears wider than mine.

Of course it's possible that they made changes throughout the run. But taking all of the above into consideration, along with the lack of a badge or matching serial number (I assume yours isn't numbered), I would think that is unlikely to be an original SBA neck, or even a Selmer neck.

·
Administrator
17,262 Posts
Not an original SBA neck.

The shield in front of the neck is missing on yours (second picture).

As far as I know you have two types of SBA necks, one with a shield with mouse-ears (older ones, also used on BA's) and one without mouse-ears (newer ones).

I have one of both types in my collection, see here for some pictures:
https://plus.google.com/photos/108637650008771977212/albums/6210688952537339521

·
Registered
8,025 Posts
It doesn’t look original. It looks like it was possibly fitted to the sax but the plating wear doesn’t look like it fits that great.

If anyone has an original BA neck, I’m looking. I’d consider one of the good copies.

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
Looks like the neck from this sax:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Selmer-Sup...=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

It's definitely not like any other Selmer neck I've ever seen.
It does indeed look like that horn. Does not look like any Selmer neck we've seen either.

"This is a French assembled, non-engraved horn which many collectors prefer over engraved horns (which reduces the metal content of the bell and alters it's resonance)."

WOW ... so many things wrong with this statement it's hilarious. I guess they got the French Assembled part correct. The rest is fairly erroneous.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts