Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got this from eBay without neck.

It has Martin Elkhart, Ind. engraved on it, finish and all looks good.

SN 109XXX

View attachment 228226
View attachment 228228
View attachment 228232
View attachment 228234
View attachment 228236

Tried to find info in Saxophone.org virtual museum, but no Martin there even remotely looks like mine, also SN# would put it in 1930's Hm... It looks much more modern to me.

Also, Martin seems to have special neck with screw on it. Mine has standard "on body" design - see I put temporary screw there.

I did minor tune up and cleaning it. Generic 27.5m neck did not fit so I used some Teflon tape and it makes nice sound.

I would like to re-pad it and some how fit neck more permanently , ideally via either expending one I got it or putting 1-2mm collar spacer so I would like to id this sax model.

Is this some kind of Martin Student model? Stencil (I was thinking Martin made stencils for others)? Fake engraving?

During cleanup I noticed that sax made quite well, has some spots (so defiantly old). It came in good hard case too. Lacker has some interesting shade to it - a bit bluish/greenish, not birth golden.

Yes, tried it with tuner. It is Bb and plays in tune with generic ebay neck and Yamaha 4C MP/Rico 3.5

Anybody knows what this is or at least what Model/Maker it looks like?

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
I had a similar alto. I think it was determined to be an Orsi but definitely made in Italy.
Fortunately, yours doesn't have the compound bend low C# which lines up with the other bell keys. It was a problem but other than that, the sax played pretty well.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, weird indeed. I wonder what this "body" really is. Selmer stencil? Model? I will keep looking in Italian direction too, thank you!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013-
5,431 Posts
My best memory is that the company shipped out parts to all sorts of places, especially maybe Italy, and saxes assembled from various places will have physical features that originated in the Malerne line.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,885 Posts
it is an Alfredo Santoni Paré Como, ditta Giglio

they made these Malerne-like horns ( speculative research postulatesthey may have taken over Malerne production at some point?.

Typical too are the B-Bb guards which were also shared by a company in the vicinity, Rampone & Cazzani

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
19,221 Posts
Those tone holes scream NOT Martin.
At least not one that I've ever seen.
Beveled and soldered are what one would expect on something wearing the Martin name.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,885 Posts
long ago there was a violent discussion about a shop passing for true martin one of these

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
18,000 Posts
Yeah it's one of those hybrid-ish Italian stencils which were commonplace in Europe in the 60's-70's...Santoni having been Identified as a source factory of many.

These DO pop up from time to time, actually....the Martin engraved ones...so they aren't really super-unusual. Apparently, there came a point where the Martin company actually subcontracted out to a European supplier.

These never fetch much on eBay. Granted, the condition of this one looks cherry, which is cool. Also, these Malerne-y/Santoni bodies take replacement necks fairly easily.

If you purchased a chinese cheapie from eFlay, you would need a tech to change out the tenon, but the neck then might work. Another option would be trying to find something like a Bundy neck, Orsi neck, Conn shooting star neck, etc...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
very interesting info. thank you!

I will try to enlarge neck myself eventulay when I will get a tool before ordering another Chinese cheapie with bigger diameter. I saw 28.5 mm (that will give me extra mm)

Teflon tape works for now (saw other use it to fix loose necks) and I will focus on re-pading this Italian with pad set that just came in.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts