Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am being offered this sax, which was made for a famous music store in Mexico in the 20s or even earlier. It´s got beleved tone holes but I have not found other similarities with vintage Martin moldes, or indeed with other brands.

It is beautifully engraved with the store´s name but there is not any other marking, serial number, place or manufacture...nothing. I even think it could be a C Melody .

Your comments are appreciated.

Antonio

Bicycle frame Bicycle part Textile Sleeve Musical instrument
Durango boot Horse tack Batting glove Wood Boot
Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18
Show Content
Tints and shades Wood Knee Elbow Wrist
Musical instrument Reed instrument Brass instrument Saxophone Wind instrument
Hand Musical instrument Reed instrument Brass instrument Wind instrument
Musical instrument Photograph Reed instrument Saxophone Brass instrument

·
Registered
181 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
43,496 Posts
Wagner Y Levin was a musical instrument factory (or probably just a shop) in Sonora Mexico, they were agents for Steinway and might very well have bought or even made saxophones , it looks French but who knows what they did in Mexico in the '20?

Newspaper Font News Parallel Paper

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
20,034 Posts
European horn. Soldered bell toneholes. Nothing American in its detailing.

measure the height of the body, no neck on. If it is around 63-65cm it's a C-Mel, if it's around 72-74cm it's a Bb Tenor.

Cool looking horn.

****Interesting what's going on with the touches of the lower stack keys. Extra touch on the D cup.....it appears the D keycup is double-stacked (i.e has a smaller keycup on the top of it).....so hitting the pearl D touch drops the large D cup but leaves the smaller cup above it open.....while hitting the metal D touch drops both the large and small D keycups simultaneously.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
T_J_h90000 you are right. It indeed looks like an Evette, particularly the so called "patented" Evette & Schaeffer

Interesting what's going on with the touches of the lower stack keys. Extra touch on the D cup.....it appears the D keycup is double-stacked (i.e has a smaller keycup on the top of it).....so hitting the pearl D touch drops the large D cup but leaves the smaller cup above it open.....while hitting the metal D touch drops both the large and small D keycups simultaneously.
This double stacked D keycup is precisely a feature of the above mentioned patented Evette.

It is indeed a pretty horn, but I would need to make sure it is not high pitch and or a C melody one.

Thanks for all your comments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.