Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I am being offered this sax, which was made for a famous music store in Mexico in the 20s or even earlier. It´s got beleved tone holes but I have not found other similarities with vintage Martin moldes, or indeed with other brands.

It is beautifully engraved with the store´s name but there is not any other marking, serial number, place or manufacture...nothing. I even think it could be a C Melody .

Your comments are appreciated.

Antonio

STENCIL 11.jpg STENCIL 8.jpg
Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content
STENCIL 4.jpg STENCIL 5.jpg STENCIL 6.jpg STENCIL 7.jpg

·
Registered
181 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
39,512 Posts
Wagner Y Levin was a musical instrument factory (or probably just a shop) in Sonora Mexico, they were agents for Steinway and might very well have bought or even made saxophones , it looks French but who knows what they did in Mexico in the ’20?

48292_2.jpg

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
18,355 Posts
European horn. Soldered bell toneholes. Nothing American in its detailing.

measure the height of the body, no neck on. If it is around 63-65cm it's a C-Mel, if it's around 72-74cm it's a Bb Tenor.

Cool looking horn.

****Interesting what's going on with the touches of the lower stack keys. Extra touch on the D cup.....it appears the D keycup is double-stacked (i.e has a smaller keycup on the top of it).....so hitting the pearl D touch drops the large D cup but leaves the smaller cup above it open.....while hitting the metal D touch drops both the large and small D keycups simultaneously.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
T_J_h90000 you are right. It indeed looks like an Evette, particularly the so called "patented" Evette & Schaeffer

Interesting what's going on with the touches of the lower stack keys. Extra touch on the D cup.....it appears the D keycup is double-stacked (i.e has a smaller keycup on the top of it).....so hitting the pearl D touch drops the large D cup but leaves the smaller cup above it open.....while hitting the metal D touch drops both the large and small D keycups simultaneously.
This double stacked D keycup is precisely a feature of the above mentioned patented Evette.

It is indeed a pretty horn, but I would need to make sure it is not high pitch and or a C melody one.

Thanks for all your comments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts