Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a Meyer online and to my surprise it blew all my other alto pieces out of the water. I thought nothing of it at the time, especially because I am a tenor player anyways. Today I looked at the piece and noticed that instead of saying made in USA, it says New York USA. After some research, it seems i have my hands on a NY Meyer. I was hoping to determine the value of the piece and ultimately sell it, because I am really not an alto player and would rather have it go to someone who would play it. I have attached some pictures. Thanks for your help!
View attachment 214028 View attachment 214030

·
Registered
5,901 Posts
I recently bought a Meyer online and to my surprise it blew all my other alto pieces out of the water. I thought nothing of it at the time, especially because I am a tenor player anyways. Today I looked at the piece and noticed that instead of saying made in USA, it says New York USA. After some research, it seems i have my hands on a NY Meyer. I was hoping to determine the value of the piece and ultimately sell it, because I am really not an alto player and would rather have it go to someone who would play it. I have attached some pictures. Thanks for your help!
Yeah baby! That's a winner. The greatest alto mouthpiece ever made. Congratulations! They were so good I copied one. Good luck with the new piece. Phil Barone

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
maybe sell all your other alto pieces first? (seriously, when i stumbled onto one, i had to reassess the relative importance of a great piece vs a great horn.)

·
3,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
maybe sell all your other alto pieces first? (seriously, when i stumbled onto one, i had to reassess the relative importance of a great piece vs a great horn.)
Just hard to justify having a piece worth more than my horn, especially since I don't plan on playing alto in general.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Unlike others, I understand your desire to sell the mouthpiece. I am still a relative beginner in the sax world, but am probably technically an intermediate player........By happen chance I saw an old tenor that I picked up for less than $500 last year.... the seller didn’t know what it was, and I didn’t either. (Pads were falling out, but it was an old Selmer so I thought I would buy it on a flyer) turned out to be a SBA with original lacquer. There is no way that that is the right horn for me, as incredibly valuable as it is. Me playing that thing wouldn’t do it justice.....so I had it fixed up (not so cheap) and it is now for sale. All the profits are going to charity (my son’s school band). The horn will end up one day in the hands of a professional that can take advantage of it. And my son’s school is going to have some extra funding to help out he band.......it would be unjust for me to simply keep that tenor for my own use........ (In previous posts I have referred to this as my charity SBA),

So I understand why you want to sell the mouthpiece. It is a good idea.

I see that lots of participants in this forum like the mouthpiece, but no one is giving you a good idea of its value. One way to get a better estimate of its value is to call a couple of reputable music shops who deal in second hand mouthpieces and asked them what they would give you for it on a trade in. Take that quote and double it.....that is probably pretty close the the current retail value.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Unlike others, I understand your desire to sell the mouthpiece. I am still a relative beginner in the sax world, but am probably technically an intermediate player........By happen chance I saw an old tenor that I picked up for less than $500 last year.... the seller didn’t know what it was, and I didn’t either. (Pads were falling out, but it was an old Selmer so I thought I would buy it on a flyer) turned out to be a SBA with original lacquer. There is no way that that is the right horn for me, as incredibly valuable as it is. Me playing that thing wouldn’t do it justice.....so I had it fixed up (not so cheap) and it is now for sale. All the profits are going to charity (my son’s school band). The horn will end up one day in the hands of a professional that can take advantage of it. And my son’s school is going to have some extra funding to help out he band.......it would be unjust for me to simply keep that tenor for my own use........ (In previous posts I have referred to this as my charity SBA),

So I understand why you want to sell the mouthpiece. It is a good idea.

I see that lots of participants in this forum like the mouthpiece, but no one is giving you a good idea of its value. One way to get a better estimate of its value is to call a couple of reputable music shops who deal in second hand mouthpieces and asked them what they would give you for it on a trade in. Take that quote and double it.....that is probably pretty close the the current retail value.
Or just go to eBay and do a search for sales of identical mouthpieces that sold in the past 90 days or so (use the appropriate filters). When it comes to true market value, eBay prices are still the best standard (you will see what people are actually paying for items, instead of just relying on estimates or opinions).

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Wow. Lucky you. Man I realized I lost another pair of sunglasses today. I'm always losing expensive sunglasses but never find them!Well at least you had some good luck here.lol

Phil I play the New York Meyer Limited Edition. I think they came out around 2000. Was my mouthpiece designed to copy this classic mouthpiece? Any comments on it?

·
12,710 Posts
This is the other Phil.

The Meyer LTD was made from the same mold.

Basically its the same mouthpiece. It may or may not be finished as well as the old ones but you have the basic ingredients.

There was a lot of variance in the old pieces but the big difference between modern and vintage pieces is that people used to keep their jobs for life...or at least a large part of it.

In modern factories you have people who do the same finish work. The difference is they come and go. It is far less likely that the person who does the final work on the piece has 10 years of experience. Its probably more like 10 months to a couple of years. This impacts the mpc world as well as many other areas of modern manufacturing.

All that aside, your piece comes from the original molds, with the original core.

·
Registered
5,901 Posts
Wow. Lucky you. Man I realized I lost another pair of sunglasses today. I'm always losing expensive sunglasses but never find them!Well at least you had some good luck here.lol

Phil I play the New York Meyer Limited Edition. I think they came out around 2000. Was my mouthpiece designed to copy this classic mouthpiece? Any comments on it?
Well, to be honest, I don't think so. I think it was just marketing but if you like it then just be happy with it, there's no need to switch mouthpieces once you've found a good one. Meyer still makes a great mouthpiece and if I played alto and didn't make my own that's what I'd use. Phil

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
1,324 Posts
I had a NY USA Meyer 8M alto piece. Bought it new (possibly NOS) from a small shop in Pittsburgh in 1971. IIRC, it was $29. Fast forward to the early 2000's. I wasn't playing much alto, and the 8 opening was too much for me. These things were just starting to zoom up in value so I sold it to Mark (10MFan). I think I got somewhere between $250 and $300, which I thought was great. Now they are just insane, but no regrets. It would probably still be sitting in my drawer gathering dust.

·
Registered
5,901 Posts
I'll tell ya, the SR Technologies plastic mouthpiece was a good alto mouthpiece but I don't think they make them anymore. Phil

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
as far as the argument about not wanting a horn worth less than the piece, a Meyer Bros NY is "worth" more than a lot of great horns. i got a solid vintage for cheaps, and i swear this piece makes it play like a million bucks. don't seem like a problem so much as a killer set-up. but if folks don't dig alto, which looks like a predominate theme on this thread, than by all means, move it on to someone who appreciates it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've had my NY Meyer since the'70's in the original box...$29.95! Absolutely love it... I've been offered lotsa money for that piece... Its not going anywhere!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts