Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Here's another one that appears to be a similar vintage, but it comes with a case and the seller says it plays. Ends about an hour after the one you listed,

http://cgi.ebay.com/Bundy-Selmer-Al...827?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4aa8572afb

Both are made by buescher and I would guess made in the 60s. If I was looking for an alto, I might take a chance bidding on this, but keep your head about you on the price. I did a quick "completed auction" search and the last few I saw of similar vintage went for around $150.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,163 Posts
It depends on what you want to do with it. Judging from the age, the fact that it's a student horn, and the look of the brass, I would imagine it has a relatively thin tone to it. So if you just wanted something to toot on now and then, $100 (as of now) is a nice price.

That's assuming of course, that it doesn't need much work done to it. He did say it'd been sitting in a closet for a long time, so I would think at the very least you'd need to put another $50 to $100 into it to fix any regulation problems that are almost certain to be there. And it's also assuming you don't need a case. A case would run you another $75 to $100.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
18,497 Posts
Doug...rather than going about it THIS way....why don't you tell us what your budget is, how long you have been playing, and what you wanna use it for.

There seems to be no end to the freefall of the market, and prices just keep going down on used horns. So, it's a buyer's market. But rather than just taking educated shots at eFlay....perhaps someone here might have something which would suit your budget and situation.

...if you want an Alto...$250 can get you a decent playing one. If you want a Tenor...probably $100 more....but who knows (?)

(the problem with eBay is....if the seller doesn't guarantee the horn plays top to bottom, right out of the case...then there's a 90% chance it will NOT. So...tack on another $100-300 of tech work after you receive the sax...and all of a sudden that great deal ain't such a deal anymore, y'know ???)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,163 Posts
Totally agree with JayeSF--I was thinking, for $300--which is what you'd probably spend total on this $100 horn after you get it serviced and put into a case--you could easily find another alto on ebay with a case and a description like "Plays great! Not a thing wrong with it! Just serviced, no problems!"

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ty I will do that appreciate your good sense . I have a great alto just need a decent tenor

Doug

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
18,497 Posts
Yes, Smokey seems like a good fella....we have not transacted, but we have 'almost transacted' on a horn I was selling, and he seems very straight-up to me.
That's a very good price on a Cleve in good shape....Can't do much better on a Tenor for $350 that that !!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts