Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Forum Contributor 2013-2016
336 Posts
It's in the ballpark. I got one off of eBay then spent $800 dollars for the setup. Keep in mind prices tend to be high in my area. Saxquest generally gets very favorable reviews around here although I have never used them. You can take a flyer on ebay like I did or just go directly for a well set up horn. My total cost was less than what is advertised, but I tool all the risk on condition.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Erik. I saw this post and wondered whether to reply. The horn looks a lot of money to me. But there again, it is free postage to anywhere in the world. If you like trying different saxes regardless of cost, then I can sell you a nice playing Yamaha 61 , or Keilwerth New King 1V tenor. Be careful out there Erik. racer

·
Registered
784 Posts
I've got a '51 Comm III tenor that I bought about 3 years ago from a local tech for $1100. Since then I've had it worked on twice, for about a total of another $250. Frankly, I was thinking about selling it after acquiring a '48 Big B that played great with a big fat sound and an exceptionally good low end. I was thinking about selling the Martin because of a slight warble in low B and other small nagging issues. I decided to give it to one more tech, a local guy who was recommended to me by one of our fellow forumites (thanks, Sig!). It came back in such great playing condition that it's become my favorite horn again.

So, if you factor in 3 years of value increase, free shipping to Norway, and the money I spent on techs I guess that price is in the ballpark. A can tell you that Martin's have a great reputation, they have really nice ergonomics, fast action and good intonation, and that seller seems to be one of the most trusted by the folks here. Good luck with your quest!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
8,275 Posts
I would like to see the subject Martin listed at about $1800. The horn looks ratty to me with a lot of dent removal. There's something else - if you just want to try something different, do it without paying too much for a 'niche' horn that you probably won't like.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
I would like to see the subject Martin listed at about $1800. The horn looks ratty to me with a lot of dent removal. There's something else - if you just want to try something different, do it without paying too much for a 'niche' horn that you probably won't like.
They say no major dents or removals but who knows.

They are also vague as to what "set up" is. Is it being overhauled or just replacing a few corks and felts?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
34,603 Posts
They say no major dents or removals but who knows.

They are also vague as to what "set up" is. Is it being overhauled or just replacing a few corks and felts?
If it was an overhaul, I am confident they would say so - and even then, I would seek clarification on details. "Set up" is usually running a leak light and maybe adjusting spring tension and key heights (a set up at TenorMadness can also include removing and reseating each pad but most other shops don't do that). A "repad" usually falls somewhere between the two.

Edit: Here we go... http://www.saxquest.com/repair-shop/saxophone-repair

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
(a set up at TenorMadness can also including removing and reseating each pad but most other shops don't do that).

Edit: Here we go... http://www.saxquest.com/repair-shop/saxophone-repair
I'm not sure if you are saying all pads are removed or some are removed and some are reseated. I would think removing old pads and putting them back in would be more difficult than just putting in a new pad.

From the SaxQuest description, that's on "New or Recently Repadded Saxophone SET UP" and we don't have an indication of what is really going to happen to this one.

The Martin may need little or nothing but before sending it to Norway, I'd ask.

·
34,603 Posts
I'm not sure if you are saying all pads are removed or some are removed and some are reseated. I would think removing old pads and putting them back in would be more difficult than just putting in a new pad.
I wrote "each pad" - yes, they removed each/every pad on my Ref 36, added lacquer as needed, and refloated each/every pad.

http://tenormadness.com/setups.php

The Martin may need little or nothing but before sending it to Norway, I'd ask.
I agree. That's also why I noted the horn from Matt Stohrer. His overhauls are very detail oriented, as I recently experienced when he overhauled my Borgani Jubilee.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
I wrote "each pad" - yes, they removed each/every pad on my Ref 36, added lacquer as needed, and refloated each/every pad.

http://tenormadness.com/setups.php
It was writing "can include" that made me wonder if all were removed.

I'm not a high priced tech but that seems a good way to introduce new leaks due to realignment of the crease.

Why not just new pads? It's the labor in an overhaul not the materials that cost so much.

·
34,603 Posts
It was writing "can include" that made me wonder if all were removed.
I see what you are talking about. Selmers, at that time, were notorious for poor factory setups, including insufficient lacquer in the pad cups, hence the detail in that setup - they also soldered the bow/body joint.

I'm not a high priced tech but that seems a good way to introduce new leaks due to realignment of the crease.

Why not just new pads? It's the labor in an overhaul not the materials that cost so much.
I, too, am not the high-priced tech, and wondered the same thing. Regardless, they took a great playing Ref 36 and made it even better. I was pleased with the work.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
I think the price is ok but on the high end. You should be able to get one on ebay for around $1.2K-1.5K. I just had my Martin overhauled for $750 so that would put it at $1.95K-2.25K. You could also probably get away with just getting it good enough to play for around $200 so in that case it would be considerably cheaper. You could then overhaul it later once you decide it's a keeper.

·
Banned
28,511 Posts
Much Too high. I got mine on Ebay 8 yrs ago for $1600, which was during the boom, and it was high then. All the pads were good and all it needed was an adjustment and some leaks corrected. An incredible sounding 1945 with the only negative that it had a lousy relac job. But who cares when it outplays some with perfect original lacquer. Guys with new name horns, Selmers whatever, look askance at it until they hear it and then change their tune and want to know what it is. LOL

So I wouldn't pay that much to get a real player.

Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk

·
Registered
431 Posts
Much Too high. I got mine on Ebay 8 yrs ago for $1600, which was during the boom, and it was high then. All the pads were good and all it needed was an adjustment and some leaks corrected. An incredible sounding 1945 with the only negative that it had a lousy relac job. But who cares when it outplays some with perfect original lacquer. Guys with new name horns, Selmers whatever, look askance at it until they hear it and then change their tune and want to know what it is. LOL

So I wouldn't pay that much to get a real player.

It is fairly standard for dealer mark up. There is some extra element of risk to buying on ebay even if you plan on an overhaul, unnoticed damage like excessive key wear, alignment problems can really drive up cost. You got lucky.

I personally, would take your route and risk ebay, but it is not the path for everyone.

·
Banned
28,511 Posts
Yeah, it worked out well for me. These days, I would most likely only buy one I could play first against a couple of others. You certainly can't do that on Eflea or any online dealer either. So you have to go local and pay the premium.

·
Registered
559 Posts
I bought a 187xxx tenor off eBay with a recent overhaul, roo pads and original lacquer, no dents or resolders, for about this price. It was an individual, a player, who could name the tech who did the work and where.
It's all about reputation, your gut feeling, not expecting something for nothing, and how long you want to wait. with a good dealer it will look like he says and play like he says. Could you save a couple hundred or get a nicer example for the same price? Maybe. But when? I paid more than I wanted to but maybe I would still be waiting of I hadn't.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I personally, would take your route and risk ebay, but it is not the path for everyone.
I wouldn't be willing to pay that money for a saxophone just based on photos (and I wouldn't like to spend that much money and then worry about shipping damage!) Those risk factors apply to any kind of mail order deal, Ebay or whatever.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts