Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
866 Posts
I saw one of these yesterday at the store that I teach at. A kid brought it in to sell on consignment, he claimed that he bought it at a garage sale for $150.00. After we established that it was a forgery, the owner asked me what to do with it. I said that he should give it back to the consignee and tell him that the store doesn't sell forgeries. I gave it blow for the hell of it, with a bit of adjustment it could play as well as the current crop of inexpensive student saxophones. I suppose the only way these forgeries can get into the country is from EBay sales or directly from the factory in China. Since Trump is hell bent on trade restrictions and tariffs with China he can also add Chinese forgeries of consumer goods to his list. Ok, I'm joking about that but to an unassuming customer buying from an unethical seller they could possibly sell these for about half of the asking price of a $8000.00 Paris made Selmer.
The model I Was looking at was a a Tenor, it had a lacquered finish and a bogus serial number that was etched on the tube. No engraving or stamping was on the horn.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Looking to the pictures this is definitve a fake
Reasons for that:
- the Ref 54 Alto is onyl available in gold laq or in gold mate
- Selmer logo an Ref 54 label wrong

BR
Juergen

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,878 Posts
you mean that you think it is possible that the owner in the US sold this for $205 knowing it was a real Selmer? I can see a flock of pigs landing by after a long arched flight , there by the end of the rainbow.:whistle:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts