Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
First off this is my first post, and im glad to have found this great forum.

I've been playing alto for about 4 years now and wanted to pick up a tenor.

I found this one on craigslist in my area.
http://columbus.craigslist.org/msg/2268879741.html

The seller says they dont know the brand or model, and its not written on the bell.

So is it decent or a generic Chinese crap sax??

Thanks for your help.

Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
There are some good Chinese saxophones around.......this, in all probability, ain't one of them

Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
It's impossible to tell from the photos. Sight unseen, your best bet in this price range (plus just a little) is a used Yamaha or Japanese-made Vito. If you can spend a little more, there are a lot more choices. And you might ask if some of the SOTW members might have something in your price range. In general, stay away from anything without a name brand on it unless you can truly trust the source from which it comes.

Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-

Registered
I'd forget the horn on craigslist. Some no name junker not worth the look.

I would do some research and consider one of the up and coming Chinese horns, maybe a Bauhaus-Walstien tenor. Different strokes for different folks and no disrespect intended, but I wouldn't put my money into a hammered old Kohlert with prices for new horns from Taiwan and China being what they are. For a little more money and with some careful research you can get a really decent horn on the cheap.

Having said that, about 24 years ago I paid $50 for a battered old YTS-61 and had it completely reconditioned for about $600. I still play it today. So you never know what will work for anyone. In the end you have to do what is right for you. Best of luck!

脺ber Geek, Forum Contributor 2010 Distinguished SO
Are there any marks at all indicating where the horn was made? Maybe under the thumbhook?
This is a longshot, but if the horn was made in Japan, it *could* be a Yanagisawa stencil--the bell-to-body ring looks typical of a Yani, and I have yet to run into a bad one.

Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
Here's a better way to go about this, Cushions (although these threads are kinda fun, in a way).

Tell us more about yourself....how long have you been playing ? What sorta music do you play ? What is your budget ? Where are you located ? Would you consider buying online, or do you wanna try in person ? Do you play any other instruments ?

Etc.....

Welcome to the Forum, BTW.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts