Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Green Blue Azure Purple Automotive tire

I don't know anything about cracks. This looks like it could be one but I don't feel anything when I run my finger over it.

Also, I'm not a huge gear head, and I was reading that not all mouthpieces are suited for a selmer series 9. I'm playing on a vandoren BD5. Is there any reason to think this is a poor match?

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
Yes that is a crack. To tell if it goes all the way to the bore you can plug one end with a rubber stopper or your hand, brush some thick soapy water over the crack and then blow on the other end. You will see bubbles if air is leaking from the inside. The choice of mouthpiece depends a lot on the style of music you wish to play.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thx for the reply. The crack seems so minor I was hoping it was just a cosmetic scratch. If it passes your test and doesn't bubble, is that good news in any way?

I mainly play in bands with my friends, who are mostly rock oriented people. Right now I am playing in a mario bros themed band where we cover all the music from the 8/16 bit consoles.

·
Registered
Keilwerth saxes (S/A/T), Selmer clarinets (S/B), Altus Azumi flute
2,324 Posts
If it is a crack, it appears to be one that has already been repaired. Even in the worst case, it's pretty easy to get a replacement barrel.

I think the BD5 is a pretty middle-of-the-road mouthpiece, maybe a tiny bit on the darker side. It should be fine for any ensemble playing.

·
Registered
265 Posts
View attachment 114875

I don't know anything about cracks. This looks like it could be one but I don't feel anything when I run my finger over it.

Also, I'm not a huge gear head, and I was reading that not all mouthpieces are suited for a selmer series 9. I'm playing on a vandoren BD5. Is there any reason to think this is a poor match?
Some clarinets are a little picky with mouthpieces, and ideally, you should try a few. The Series 9 was the last of the cylindrical big bore Selmer clarinets, essentially a Centred Tone with better ergos. The 9 * and Series 10 went to the conical small bore, in line with Buffet et al. Certainly, with the big bore horns, you can have intonation issues related to the mpc. I think the BD5 is fine. The CT and Series 9s were notorious for cracking, and when Selmer replaced a serial numbered component, they placed an asterisk above the serial number, to denote the replacement. This sometimes causes confusion between Selmer series 9's and 9 * models.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,354 Posts
Yeah, that looks like a crack. I can't tell if it's been repaired, but it might have been filled already. I'd probably just play it and see if it gets worse, to be honest.

I am not sure, but if the crack got worse, it seems like this might be a perfect application for one of those cool carbon fiber bands I've seen my repair tech use to hold cracks shut in areas where there is a full 360º of room to run one. But I am not a tech and live somewhere where cracking is pretty rare, so take my recommendations with a grain of salt!

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
19,754 Posts
Yeah, that's a crack. Hold the barrel up to the light and see if there is a corresponding line on the inside. If so you might want to have it repaired or replaced. Thru cracks in the barrel can stay tight and not leak, but why chance it.
As for the mouthpiece, the only way to know if it's a good match is to play it. If you can play in tune, you like the sound, and it's not too resistant or free blowing for your taste it's a good match.

Reactions: PigSquealer

·
Registered
249 Posts
What everybody said. Looks like a crack to me. The soapy-water-and-bubbles trick is a good one, try it. if it leaks you could try soaking the barrel in oil, like salad oil, maybe. I'd give it two or three days in the oil, then take it out and clean it. Give it a day to leak out excess oil and try it. Honestly, replacement barrels are easy to find, so going nuts over fixing this is not time=efficient.

As for "what's a good mouthpiece"?....impossible question to answer. You have to have a sound image in your head, what you are working towards. The mouthpiece that gets you closest to that image is "the best mouthpiece".

My backup b-flat...the horn I have for outdoor, amplified concerts...the one I take on the boat is a cheap e-bay special Artley from the 70's. I have my high school Selmer HS* mouthpiece on it. I got that because back when I was in school, once I had to take my old Cousnon clarinet into the shop. They had to send it out and gave me an Artley as a loaner. It was so much better than my horn that I didn't want to give it back. All these years later, I still remember. so now that they're <$50 on ebay, I just grabbed one.

That setup would be fine for community band or marching band or even doubling with it in a jazz band. I wouldn't take it to my symphony or play chamber music with it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts