Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looks like a Beaugnier made one to me ...

Attachments

·
Registered
6,267 Posts
Almost certainly yes, based on the bell brace and some other details of construction. It might be "assembled in USA" - I am not clear on all the details of that particular generation of Vitos.

Probably a lot nicer horn than the reputation and price would imply.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Almost certainly yes, based on the bell brace and some other details of construction. It might be "assembled in USA" - I am not clear on all the details of that particular generation of Vitos.

Probably a lot nicer horn than the reputation and price would imply.
Ok, what would be price for this one in good playing condition ?

·
Forum Contributor 2008-2017
357 Posts
Yes, that is the student line Beaugnier Vito assembled in Kenosha mid '60s to early '70s. My first saxophone in 1966 was one of these. Still own one, a good playing sax that is under-appreciated.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Yes, that is the student line Beaugnier Vito assembled in Kenosha mid '60s to early '70s. Good playing sax that is under-appreciated.
can you please clarify 'student line'? I ask as "usually" these horns built from Beaugnier (France) parts and assembled in Kenosha Wisconsin are (from my understanding) more often regarded as an Intermediate quality saxophone with a big 'French' voice.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I just got two Vito Tenors. 1965 and 1969. Pro horns in all regards. Amazing horns. One is big sounding with a bright shimmer on top. The other is thick and dark yet kind of focussed. I was blowing the palm keys open. After I threw some rubber bands on the palm keys the horns played great. I'm gonna need heavier (maybe double) flat springs on the palm keys. I'm shocked by how good these horns are.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
40,774 Posts
That fluted mouthpiece also looks interesting. . . .
It’s a Selmer mouthpiece as the ligature.

can you please clarify 'student line'? I ask as "usually" these horns built from Beaugnier (France) parts and assembled in Kenosha Wisconsin are (from my understanding) more often regarded as an Intermediate quality saxophone with a big 'French' voice.

There is no definition of what constitutes a student pro or intermediate (the vaguest category of all) , price and features are the only general cvriteria and there is nothing to prevent a student to use a more expensive instrument.

Vito’s were, generally, not aiming at the pro market , everything else was pure and simply price level. They were better than what other companies called professional and at par with other companies would call entry or intermediate level.

·
Registered
115 Posts
As regards build, tone ,quality of materials, intonation, aesthetic flourishes I am impressed by the Vito 9139 in every way. I play a Couf Superba 1, I've had a Mark VI and a Conn New Wonder. The Beaugnier Vito is equal to any of these horns.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts