Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Don't know much about tubas. My younger brother is starting on tuba and the school gave him one to use over the summer. Well he doesn't know anything about tubas either but we want to make sure this is the right key. Thanks for the help guys!

View attachment 206409

·
Registered
648 Posts
Why are you asking us, when the school gave it to him? Are you doubting the schools word on which horn they gave to him or they didn't specify and your brother didn't care to ask? Or maybe even forgot?

Just ask the school, i.e., the person responsible for giving it to your brother, I think it is the easier way.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Why are you asking us, when the school gave it to him? Are you doubting the schools word on which horn they gave to him or they didn't specify and your brother didn't care to ask? Or maybe even forgot?

Just ask the school, i.e., the person responsible for giving it to your brother, I think it is the easier way.
Our dad picked it up before leaving for work. He's not a musician and didn't think to ask, and the school made no indication of what it is, and the director isn't good at responding to emails. I figured that one of the brass doublers on here would be able to help.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2008,
3,891 Posts
It's probably BBb. It is pretty rare for high schools or middle schools to have tubas in other keys.

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
It's a German tuba — look at the keys. It may be a BBb, but to my eyes it looks too small — it might be an Eb. Not so heavy to cart around. Test it against a piano. See what note you get blowing open (no keys).

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's a German tuba — look at the keys. It may be a BBb, but to my eyes it looks too small — it might be an Eb. Not so heavy to cart around. Test it against a piano. See what note you get blowing open (no keys).
It's a Yamaha actually, but we couldn't find a model number on it. It looks smaller in the picture than in real life, so I don't think it would be an Eb. Thanks for the help though.

·
3,891 Posts
If it's a Yamaha then the model number on the valves will tell you what it is...

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
19,215 Posts
Maybe try calling the shop that supplies your brothers school with instruments. School owned horns have repair contracts. If you have the serial # they should be able to pull up the info for you.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If it's a Yamaha then the model number on the valves will tell you what it is...
We looked but couldn't find one. Maybe it got worn off at some point?

·
3,891 Posts
We looked but couldn't find one. Maybe it got worn off at some point?
I doubt it, they stamp that just as deep as the serial number and usually right by it. Just guessing off the cuff it looks like a YBB-641, which is in BBb. I'd be shocked if it were in a different key.

Time to go practice!

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I doubt it, they stamp that just as deep as the serial number and usually right by it. Just guessing off the cuff it looks like a YBB-641, which is in BBb. I'd be shocked if it were in a different key.

Time to go practice!
Yeah you're right, the stamp is there. YBB-641, so it's in BBb.

Thanks for everybody's help.

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
It's a Yamaha actually…
When I said it was a "German tuba," I meant the style was German, with keyed valves instead of pistons. I've a colleague I play with regularly: he plays Eb tuba and to my eyes your BBb looks the same size as his Eb. It all depends how tightly the tubing is wound, I suppose: a Bb pocket cornet looks half the size of a regular Bb cornet, but that's only because the tubing is wound more compactly. Anyway, I'm glad Martin sorted it out for you !

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
When I said it was a "German tuba," I meant the style was German, with keyed valves instead of pistons. I've a colleague I play with regularly: he plays Eb tuba and to my eyes your BBb looks the same size as his Eb. It all depends how tightly the tubing is wound, I suppose: a Bb pocket cornet looks half the size of a regular Bb cornet, but that's only because the tubing is wound more compactly. Anyway, I'm glad Martin sorted it out for you !
Interesting stuff, thanks for the info!

·
3,891 Posts
And lastly - that is most definitely a professional tuba. Take care of it!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts