Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
No, this is a much older horn. It may very well be a series 500 horn

Registered
An AWO1, TWO1, SWO1, etc., will have the letters "WO1" engraved on the horn, right above the serial number. If all other methods of identifying/dating the instrument fail you, you can rely on this.

Registered
Selmer Series III Alto
The AW01 is way newer than this. This looks like an A-5. Is the low Bb key made of plastic?

check if the spatula is made of metallized plastic. Check also the springs, if stainless steel (not pointed) . Either one (or both) of these characteristics are a giveaway of the model 500.

the Stainless steel not pointed springs would be a clear indication of this being a model 500 ( for OP, model 500 was a cheaper version made to save, its value is not very high but it is a very good saxophone all the same)

Distinguished SOTW Member
In post five, the OP wrote that the horn was purchased new in 1989. The AW01 (the issue has pretty much been settled in other posts in this thread) has only been on the market for a few years, so this horn would not be an AW01.

I bought a new Yanagisawa A880 in about 1987 or '88 and it was similar to the one shown by the OP. The one in the OP's photos has what appears to be double arms on the lower bell-pads-cups. Assuming the OP's horn was news-stock when he bought it, I'm guessing the model is an 880 like the one I bought in the late 1980's. DAVE

Registered
In post five, the OP wrote that the horn was purchased new in 1989. The AW01 (the issue has pretty much been settled in other posts in this thread) has only been on the market for a few years, so this horn would not be an AW01.

I bought a new Yanagisawa A880 in about 1987 or '88 and it was similar to the one shown by the OP. The one in the OP's photos has what appears to be double arms on the lower bell-pads-cups. Assuming the OP's horn was news-stock when he bought it, I'm guessing the model is an 880 like the one I bought in the late 1980's. DAVE
Didn麓t the A880 have an underslung neck, like the T880 did? Could it be an A800 (unless it really is an A500)?

Forum Contributor 2015-2017
A880 should have A880 stamped near the serial number. a5, A500, etc. probably does not have the model stamped.

Registered
Since my last post, I managed to dig out two old Yanagisawa brochures, one from the early and one from the late 1980s, and it does indeed look very similar to the A500. Interestingly, the low B/BB adjuster screws seem to be made of metal (or at least they麓re brass coloured) in the earlier one, and of black plastic in the later one. A case of product "development"?

/Saxray

1 - 14 of 14 Posts