Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 103 Posts

·
Indistinguishable Resident Buescher Bigot and Foru
8,588 Posts
If it's from '47 it's either a 155 or a 156. Neither will be stamped in '47 and you can't really tell from the pictures. They look essentially identical unless you have both in your hands. You can certainly feel the difference though, as they moved the position of the key work relative to the bell with the intro of the 156.

Yours does have the shorter neck, which leads me to believe that it's probably a 155. That said, I've also had someone show me a 156 with that shorter neck also, so it's no guarantee. One quick thing you can do to determine which you have is to measure the body height from the bottom of the bow to the top of the tenon receiver. Set the horn vertically on the floor on its bow guard. Measure the distance from the floor to the top of the tenon receiver. A 156 is about 29.5" (assuming the bow hasn't been mangled). The 155 will be 1/4" shorter at 29.25".

·
8,588 Posts

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,151 Posts
maddenma, look again (you're more of an expert at this than I).

Looking at the shape of the bell, I'm almost certain it is NOT a 156. So probably a 155. Notice the smooth curve along the top of the bell, looking at it side-on. The 156 has a noticeable 'kink' in the bell when viewed side-on. I also think the 156 has a bit larger flare to the end of the bell than I see on this horn, but that is harder to determine from the photos.

Beautiful horn, Sivari. Kudos for getting your tech to put it into good playing condition; you're going to love playing that horn!

·
8,588 Posts
JL, you got me. I just took a quick look at the pics. The bell precludes a 156 but doesn't guarantee it's a 155 either. The last 2 155's I personally held had the 6" bell flair and bell shape of the 156. This one looks like a 127 bell, which I guess is why the OP asked.

Take the bow to tenon measurement I suggested above. If it's much over 29.25 then it's not a 155. If this is a 127 and the serial number really does indicate a 1947 horn, then it's certainly the latest serial number I've heard of for a 127. I know they moved from the 155 to the 156 in '47. Would strike me as quite odd if they made 3 different models of tenor at the same time.

·
8,588 Posts
It's highly unusual for a tenor that late to have that bell on it, no doubt.

When you get it back, take that length measurement, either from the bottom of the bow to the top of the tenon, or from the bow ring to the tenon receiver. The body tube length will tell us what it is.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,151 Posts
In your link it said that the bell flair of the 155 and the 156 are similar, but this one has the smaller bell flair......? The serial is 310xxx
It could well be the 127. I have a 292xxx silver plated 'art deco' 127 (I call it a "series 1"), which is quite a high serial # for the art deco run. I think Buescher did have a fair amount of overlap between models; maybe they made the 'discontinued' models by special request for at least a while into the new model run.

Either way, Merry Xmas, you scored a great horn there!

·
8,588 Posts
Highly unusual, but given Buescher's tendency towards other odd features we've seen over the years I wouldn't even call it improbable. I found a picture of '55 129 bari once that had a New Aristocrat pinky table with a crescent G# and we were just talking about a Big B tenor in another thread with a previously unheard of Eb trill key. This is not to mention my Art Deco 127 Aristocrat with the soldered tone holes.

As we keep finding reasons to say -- Just when you think you've got them figured out, out pops another horn that breaks your theory.

1 - 20 of 103 Posts