Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welcome to SOTW
A well known seller has a bunch of pictures here of a 875EX, and it looks pretty much the same to me. Any reason you suspect it? Other than where its being sold of course...
https://www.quinntheeskimo.net/Pics/YTS-875EX-NU/
Thanks for your reply and pics. The serial number and model number looks to be engraved with a bunch of dots, and of course the low price has me weary. Doe the serial number look legit?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2010
3,333 Posts
Thanks for your reply and pics. The serial number and model number looks to be engraved with a bunch of dots, and of course the low price has me weary. Doe the serial number look legit?
Looks the same to me?
https://www.quinntheeskimo.net/Pics/YTS-875EX-NU/YTS-875EX-NU28.jpg

The X on this one also has a sort of "dot matrix" print effect
https://www.quinntheeskimo.net/Pics/YTS875EX-C84582/YTS875EX-C8458252.jpg

Dont know about the "low" price, there are other horns I would spend less on instead. This one for example... https://www.ebay.com/itm/B-S-2001-P...354109?hash=item262c0617fd:g:riQAAOSw-uhd0EHz which I know is being sold by a stand up guy that Ive done business before with. Hes a poster in these parts too.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Can one of you experts take a look at this? Is this a real 875EX?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/yamaha-sax...-ex-5000-00-Retail-Pre-Owned-Pro/372853253633
It's genuine. The flower pattern engraving is exactly the same as on my horn. (so much for the custom moniker) . Plus the key-work all looks right as well. Anyway, I actually used a magnifying glass on the serial number and the stamp is a little strange, almost like it's engraved but no way anyone's hand is that good to engrave that cleanly. Maybe it's laser engraved on a CNC? I would say that it's a great price for that horn but pictures can't tell you how it plays ...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
saxophone, flutes and lil' bit of clarinet
7,380 Posts
My eternal question is;
Why would anyone make a fake Yamaha?
Because they are valuable and (normally) sell for a lot of money. The 875 is one of their most expensive.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you all for your input.
Reet, I appreciate you taking the time to take a close look. I had the seller post better pictures. I took the plunge and purchased the horn. Will let you know how it is.
Will keep my 62 as a backup

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
34,047 Posts
I hope the seller knows how to pack a saxophone.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
34,047 Posts
It is being packed up at the UPS store, they do a good job
That has not been my experience. I received a National resonator guitar (in its case) that was loose in the packing box. Since UPS packed it, they were quite willing to refund the cost of the instrument, but it was trashed.

Your UPS may do a good job of packing the case in a box, but the shipping damage that occurs to a saxophone is often because of movement inside the case. You don’t want the neck bouncing around inside the case compartment either. Details.

G’luck. I wish you well.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
It is being packed up at the UPS store, they do a good job
This makes me cringe. I shipped a set of golf clubs to my son and had UPS pack them. Two of the clubs ended up getting damaged. My son didn't notice until about a month later when he went to use them. I have received quite a few damaged items shipped by UPS. If you can, open and inspect your package before the driver leaves. Good luck!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Good evening everyone
I just wanted to let you know that much to my surprise I received the horn today. As luck would have it, it was well packed in a sturdy box padded on all sides and each end so there was no movement of the case inside the box. The neck was well wrapped and the horn was covered with bubble wrap. The horn appears brand new without a scratch, ding or dent.
It came with the original yamaha custom 4c mouthpiece and cap. I have been playing the crap out of it all afternoon and am totally blown away by it. I didn't want to put it down. The sound just jumps out of it effortlessly from top to bottom. Quite honestly the best horn I've ever played.
Kudos to UPS on this one. Thank you all for your responses and concern.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2010
3,333 Posts
Awesome, glad it all worked out:thumbrig:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Good evening all
Since there have been many inquiries regarding serial numbers, I just thought I would share with you the response I received from yamaha regarding the serial number of my new YTS875EX. Here is their response to me when I inquired:
Thank you for reaching out to us! According to our databases, the YTS-875EX with serial #D10560 was first sold to a dealer in 2010.
Just thought I would throw it out there. Take it for what it's worth.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts