Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My pastor found an old horn in his attic...it was once his great uncle's. I've played a lot of sax at my church, and he wants to overhaul it and give it to me. This is what I've discovered so far...

-It's a 6m VIII "lady face" alto
-Has a micro tuner neck, G# trill, rolled tone holes
-Serial Number has a capital "A" then underneath is 2xxxxx (thinking off the top of my mind), then an "L" under that.
-It's pretty dirty. It didn't even have a case; he had it wrapped in a blanket.

My saxophone director has quoted me at like $600-$800 to fix it up legitimately. I am at a lack of nice saxophones, and this could be a great gift for me if its worth it.

Thanks for reading!

·
TOTM administrator
Tenor: Eastman 52nd St, Alto: P. Mauriat 67RDK, Soprano: Eastern Music Curvy
5,688 Posts
6m's are Great horns and you would be very happy with how it plays. 600-800 sounds a little pricey however, but it would be a worthwhile investment. Also, depending on the exact serial number, it can be A Conn "Chu Berry" New Wonder II, a Conn Transitional, or a Conn 6m. Here is the range.

145,400-243,699 - Chu Berry, 1925-1931.

244,700 - 259,999 - Transitional, 1931-1934.

260,000 - 320,000 - 6m (Rolled Tone Hole Model)

All of these are phenomenal horns, and you would be greatly pleased with the horn if you got it fixed up. Selling it wouldn't have too great of a return, but you would make a gain over the amount you would have to use to fix it up.

I say keep it, and fix it up, and you'll have one of the best sounding horns out there. I still am looking to find mine :D.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
5,211 Posts
Great horn - Unless these are some major mechanical issues probably a standard overhaul. White Roo pads are SWEET on these 6M. PM need more info

·
Forum Contributor 2013-2017
719 Posts
Congratulations on a great find. If your horn actually says "6M VIII", you have what many people consider the best of the 6Ms, which in turn are considered among the best altos ever made. If you'd like to know more, here's a review of the 6M VIII by Stephen Howard who's a member of the forum:

Conn 6M VIII Review

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,127 Posts
Nah, those old things aren't worth anything...you would be far better off to just ship it to me so I can properly dispose of it ;).

They are nice playing saxes, I have a '34 that is a blast to play on. I also agree that the quoted price for an overhaul seems a little steep, but it does depend on just how much work the sax needs (although if that price includes a new case then it would be more appropriately priced). Assuming it hasn't been too abused it is definitely worth the effort to fix.

·
4,321 Posts
Send it to me for an overhaul with white roopads..:D

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I appreciate everyone's input thanks so much!

I thought the prices seemed steep too, but he gave me such high numbers because the thing really is filthy, and he says the rolled tone holes are much more work to replace...which would cause more money in labor.

There's also the chance that the mouthpiece and cork are worn to shreds and that I would have to replace that as well. I'm getting it in a few days from the guy.

But considering what you guys are telling me, I will definitely be playing this horn.

·
5,211 Posts
the rolled tone holes are much more work to replace...which would cause more money in labor.
This statement concerns me. You should post photos. SOTW members can give you a pretty good assessment. I've got a repair guy who will put this right for less than $600. And it will be PERFECT when he's done.

A. Greene

·
Forum Contributor 2013-2017
719 Posts
...the thing really is filthy, and he says the rolled tone holes are much more work to replace...which would cause more money in labor.
What's this about replacing the rolled tone holes :shock::????

If there's no real mechanical damage like dents, bent rods, non-level tone holes, detached posts, super pulled-down neck etc., then really, it's just a matter of taking the horn apart, giving it a nice clean, replacing pads and cork and/or point/grub screws if necessary, putting everything back in place with a good oiling and tune-up, and you're good to go. If it's any indication, I had all the above done, and done magnificently, to a Conn stencil curved soprano for under $300.

As A. Greene says, photos of the thing will help us help you.

Cheers and Happy Holidays,
Kenneth

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
33,901 Posts
...the thing really is filthy, and he says the rolled tone holes are much more work to replace...which would cause more money in labor.
What's this about replacing the rolled tone holes :shock::????
I agree. If that is what the tech really said, don't leave it with that tech - he obviously is not familiar with nor comfortable with working on that horn.

Better to send it away to a person that enjoys working on vintage Conns. Much as I don't play alto, I am always watching for a nice Conn alto such as the one that has found you.

·
Registered
600 Posts
I really don't like the sound of " replacing the rolled tone holes "!!! And removing the old cork and putting on new is pretty much a standard when you get a horn reconditioned. I'd take these as red flags and shop around for someone who won't dick you around.Oh,and yes, this really is worth fixing up. Is there a "green with envy smiley"?:D

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
3,409 Posts
REPLACE THE ROLLED TONE HOLES?????? I hope he dont mean file them down!
That would be a capital offence.
Be patient, get some more info and make sure the guy respects these horns. Admittedly they can be a devil to get right if damage is extensive but that applies to anything I suppose. These were the best of the best so consider ALL the options.
Bopity

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
REPLACE THE ROLLED TONE HOLES?????? I hope he dont mean file them down!
That would be a capital offence.
Bopity
My mistake. I should have been more specific. Replacing the pads on rolled tone holes, so I'm told, is more of a hassle and would thus cost more to fix up.

My digital camera is at home which would create the best quality photos. I'm leaving campus for winter break on Friday so I will be able to get lots of photos up this weekend. But thank you all for the nice comments about this alto. I am very excited to get this horn into playing condition!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
33,901 Posts
My mistake. I should have been more specific. Replacing the pads on rolled tone holes, so I'm told, is more of a hassle and would thus cost more to fix up.
His words or yours? If it is a "hassle" to your tech, stick with the previous recommendations and find someone that actually likes to work on vintage horns.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
743 Posts
In central TN and north AL, you are looking at $400 or less for a full repad, ultrasonic cleaning, oil, adjust, and a final result of a perfectly playing 6M. Don't let anyone talk you into a relacquer, just a good body cleaning.
These are great altos, and deserve to be played. You may have issues with the placement of the neckstrap ring and balance of the horn in your hands, but these are easy to fix.
Sax Magic

1 - 15 of 15 Posts