Sax on the Web Forum banner

Is there such a thing as a mouthpiece that is full/fat in the palm keys?

7K views 32 replies 22 participants last post by  J.Max 
#1 ·
I have tried numerous makes/models and I have yet to find it, the latest being a Morgan 8M that's like butter down low but gets very thin/edgy in the palms. I want something that sounds as full on top as on the bottom. Any suggestions?

#4 ·
If you find the magic piece that will do that Alan, let me know!! Since you've heard my recordings you know that I could **really** use some help in that area!!

I'm afraid though that the cat is right, it's more a case of doing your long tones focusing on the notes that don't feel right to you. I have from time to time been able to feel good about the high notes then I end up being forced away from my horn for a while and when I get back I feel like I'm back to beginner mode on the high notes.

#6 ·
The Barone NY 7* I'm selling (A sale is pending, so this is not a conflict of interest statement) has a pretty good palm-key body to the sound. You might want to check one out...if you can find one, LOL.

#7 ·
Its quite a vague kind of question and I think what the others are saying is that you and the saxophone will have far more effect on the sound in the higher register than the piece.
I can't help thinking that ' full ' and ' fat ' relate to hard work rather than traits to be found in a mouthpiece.

#9 ·
Oner thing I've noticed is that smaller octave pips on the neck tend to squeeze the sound a bit. This is one of the problems I've had with the Series III neck. I've gone back and forth between this and my stock VI neck and though I like elements of the Series III, the palm keys are just not as full.

#10 ·
Have you checked the key height on the upper stack and palm keys.. or embrochure (sorry spelling?)

#12 ·
Lamberson L or J models, Morgan C and L models... and others with good facings, large chambers, and scooped sidewalls.

Seriously tho', the comment on adjusting YOU holds true. And it's not about playing long tones. If one is just playing notes for a longer time, that, in itself, will not change things - in fact, it may reinforce bad habits.

#14 ·
I have to agree that Morgans are a little thin in the high end. Try a link or one of the saxscape mouthpieces. A baffle that is somewhat rounded (i.e., lower in the middle when you look at the mpc head on) will probably be fatter in the high end. That's one of the reasons the early babbitt HR tenor pieces are so popular.

#15 ·
There are a lot of Morgan models to choose from. Do you extend your assessment to all Morgans? "Thin" has not been my experience.

I find the Saxscape Uptowns to be a little bright for my tastes (but I tend to blow to the bright side) even though they don't thin out. With all the interest in them, I had to try them and now have two for sale in the marketplace.

It just goes to show ya that one mouthpiece design doesn't work for us all.

#18 ·
The A Train said:
I have tried numerous makes/models and I have yet to find it, the latest being a Morgan 8M that's like butter down low but gets very thin/edgy in the palms. I want something that sounds as full on top as on the bottom. Any suggestions?
I played the HR Link on both my Grassi and B&S 2001 and liked the dark sound. It was too dark for the JK. I have a no baffle metal Link NY and one which came with the slant baffle that MOJO talks about which he modified for me into a rollover. If you ever plan to get down southern ME way drop me a line and come try them all (and others) out. I let the HR Link go with my first B&S, but I could borrow it back.

#19 · (Edited)
I just tried a Hite a few days ago with a #3 Vandoren ZZ and it was pretty full on the top, including altissimo notes. My Berg Larsen 130/2 is pretty thick and full sounding on top as well. One reason I bought my Brilhart Levelaire (new model) was because it was noticably fuller than my Dukoff D7 up there.All three of these sound fuller on top than my two STM Links.The Brilhart has a straight baffle, medium chamber and the Berg has the drop off baffle with medium chamber. These pieces all have baffles but still sound pretty full on the higher registers.

#20 ·
I've noticed my 1980 Levelaire has fuller highs too and is the one I'm playing lately -interesting since they are generally known to be bright. The Link STM I have is my favorite but it's the squirrely palms that have me searching elsewhere. I love Fibracells too but I might have to give them up -I think they may bring to much edge to the sound.

#21 ·
The A Train said:
I've noticed my 1980 Levelaire has fuller highs too and is the one I'm playing lately -interesting since they are generally known to be bright. The Link STM I have is my favorite but it's the squirrely palms that have me searching elsewhere. I love Fibracells too but I might have to give them up -I think they may bring to much edge to the sound.
Fibracells are bright from my experience and I use them for that very reason when I want to really cut through. I was equally surprised with the Berg 130/2. I expected it to sound more cutting like Lenny Picket or Jr. Walker but I find I can easily emulate the darker older sound of guys like Lester Young as well as the older R&B players with the huskier sounds from the late 40's and early '50's. I guess there are no hard and fast rules. By the way, I'm using these on a '53 The Martin and a '49 Buescher 156.

#22 ·
One thing that you might also try is using a reed with a thicker tip. Javas, V16s, La Voz, and RSJs have very thin tips which tend to make the palm keys a bit thinner. Try a Vandoren Traditional or Hemke.

And just to add this...I have never had a Morgan mouthpiece sound thin in the palm key registers. Then again, I play the "C" series mostly which is a classical piece, so it's going to be darker and fuller anyway. (I have an "M" on my alto which doesn't have a problem either.)

#23 ·
The Kessler OL7Pro tenor piece seems to be working out great with my Martin HC Comm II tenor (nice fat sound throughout, including the palm keys), but it may also be the mpc/horn combination. The piece does have a round chamber and the facing is based on an old metal Link 7. I'm using La Voz medium and Vandoren V16 2.5 reeds. Dave Kessler has a no-risk trial policy if you want to give it a spin.

#24 ·
Alot of good pointers here and I definately want to try a thicker-tipped reed and maybe some classical pieces. I've never tried a bari sax reed on tenor, I hear some players prefer it -how do those sound? I have tried bass clarinet reeds and found them rather dull sounding.

#25 ·
Jarycustom modified Link NY on a SX90 is as thick as any I've played from mid-upper register through the palm keys. David Jary added a long, gentle rollover baffle from tip dropping off about 1-1/3" into the chamber, balanced with some further opening of the already large, round NY chamber. Trade off seems to be that it isn't as smooth on the bottom end as other large chambered pieces I've had. Nice piece - seems to work well w/any reed choice so far.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.