Sax on the Web Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
Keilwerth SX90R Tenor, Selmer MVII Alto, Yamaha Flute, Fender American Tele
175 Posts
too bad its not a better mpc. i once bought a very nice the martin and found an awesume early babbit meyer alto mpc inside
Oh man, that was a cliffhanger. Was hoping for a Selmer Short Shank

·
Formerly 1958SelmerMarkVI
1,509 Posts
Well, Google showed me a lot of accessories I recognize, but nothing matching these (below). Maybe some kind of ligature and something that's part of a stand?
The mouthpiece is nothing terribly special. There is some interest in them as a curiosity/collectible, but it's definitely not a high dollar piece...maybe $50 on a good day for one in better condition. Cracked, as it is, maybe $25 or $30.The item with the screw is a ligature with a built on reed protector that can be flipped up when you aren't playing. A novel idea, and again mostly a curiosity piece for collectors of old sax gear. Probably worth about the same as the mouthpiece. I think they were sold under the brand name Keech & Greene, but I've also seen some that were blank. The other items are clarinet (or maybe soprano sax) pegs, which will screw onto the legs of many sax stands to hold these additional instruments. No real value there.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
The mouthpiece is nothing terribly special. There is some interest in them as a curiosity/collectible, but it's definitely not a high dollar piece...maybe $50 on a good day for one in better condition. Cracked, as it is, maybe $25 or $30.The item with the screw is a ligature with a built on reed protector that can be flipped up when you aren't playing. A novel idea, and again mostly a curiosity piece for collectors of old sax gear. Probably worth about the same as the mouthpiece. I think they were sold under the brand name Keech & Greene, but I've also seen some that were blank. The other items are clarinet (or maybe soprano sax) pegs, which will screw onto the legs of many sax stands to hold these additional instruments. No real value there.
Thanks for identifying those for me! I wouldn't have guessed something in the case was for clarinet and not sax. I'm not worried about the value on the items, like the saxophone. I just wanted something that didn't cost a bomb and then when I saw I could get a sax that is around 100 years old, I jumped at it. I've always been fascinated by antiques and heirlooms, but I've never bought anything vintage before. I figured if I got it and the horn didn't even play, I'd still be happy to own it as a piece of history I could display since the finish still looks pretty good. All of these little extras are definitely little curiosities I would hold onto!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Out of interest, what brand is the alto?
It's a Frank Holton. I know there's a lot of mixed opinions on that brand but I thought I'd take a chance on it to learn since I wanted something vintage and it looks like it was well cared for. So far, I like it much better than my high school music class clarinet though. :)

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
mellie - Holton saxophones have a very devout fan base. If the horn is set up suitably it will be great :)

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
I found similar online

I think the crack is just on the outside finish, but the metal on the inside looks sound. It might still be usable.

I found similar online. It's a Frank Holton & Co. Bakelite/Metal Alto Sax Mouthpiece - the saxophone is Frank Holton. The only inscription I can see is PAT APPLIED FOR.
I know you have reservations about putting money into restoration on this horn, but you really should have it checked out by a good repairman. Trying to learn on an instrument that isn't functioning properly is an effort in futility, causing frustration and dejection. Maybe it doesn't need a complete overhaul, maybe a few new pads and some adjustments is all it requires. Get it checked out and then make the decision on whether or not to get it into shape.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
I know you have reservations about putting money into restoration on this horn, but you really should have it checked out by a good repairman. Trying to learn on an instrument that isn't functioning properly is an effort in futility, causing frustration and dejection. Maybe it doesn't need a complete overhaul, maybe a few new pads and some adjustments is all it requires. Get it checked out and then make the decision on whether or not to get it into shape.
I most likely will look into that at some point, but I'm thinking about scheduling a few lessons later in the summer so I can get the opinion of a saxophone teacher on it's condition for playing first. Right now I'm too busy with some home renovation projects about to start.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts