Sax on the Web Forum banner

181 - 194 of 194 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
40,339 Posts
of course the last (as the other ones, can be played in so many other ways!)

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
"I know it when I hear it" :cool:

I also include blues as jazz; in fact without at least a taste of the blues, it's not jazz!
I wouldn’t say that the blues, in and of itself, is necessarily jazz, but it certainly was one of the things that led to jazz. While not its sole contributing originator, you couldn’t have had jazz without the blues. (You can play the blues as jazz, but then you can play (nearly?) anything as jazz.)

With respect to being a wallpaper musician, I would love to be one, as it would be a step up from my current status as a bedroom musician.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,361 Posts
you mean this isn’t jazz? :cool:

Yeah milandro, I'd definitely call the first two jazz, not so sure about the 'ska orchestra' (but maybe). And I can hear a taste of blues in everything Coltrane ever played; he also played some great 'bona fide' blues of course.

·
Registered
448 Posts
This is an interesting topic. I have already sort of replied but I feel it has become more than it originally was. So… Jazz…

Is there really a Market for Jazz?

Well, this depends on how you view it. This is really a music business question. Genres are inherent to the business function really. We may have our favorites but, as musicians, we are called to be able to play whatever, wherever, and whenever; probably on multiple instruments. Below, you can find the 2018 statistics that were released this past January. I could likely get more of the detail but, I am not willing to spend the money yet for the sake of this conversation.

21.7% Hip Hop/Rap
20.1% Pop
14.0% Rock
10.6% R&B
9.4% Latin
8.7% Country
3.9% EDM
3.2% Religious
2.7% Stage & Screen
1.5% World
1.1% Jazz
1.0% Reggae
1.0% Classical
0.6% Children's
0.5% New Age

It is interesting because there is clearly a market for Jazz. It is, however, abhorrently small. I do think it noteworthy thought to understand what each genre is as it pertains to our playing and the so called “Wallpaper Musician” issue. If you were to subdivide that market into component parts… smooth jazz, fusion, bebop, etc. I think you would come up with a very small number indeed. Gigs are hard, if you are that specialized then you may find nothing at all.

Let’s be clear on those classifications. Some musicians whom we may classify as Jazz are not, in fact, being put into the categories other than the Jazz category. Recently even Jacob Collier was put into the R&B category with his release that was put up for an album of the year Grammy. Was it? Is he a pop artist? Or perhaps, is he an R&B Artist? Maybe Jazz? What box are you putting his music in? By that same token I would also say you check how you define other musicians like Raul Midon, Esperanza Spalding, Snarky Puppy, Marcus King, even the late and great Michael Breaker, and this list could go on and on…

The truth is that the most prolific musicians aren’t sequestered by one genre, they affect multiple types of gigs. They may have their roots in one or another, just like Jazz. The Jazz that was is something else now because if it stayed stagnant it would have died completely. Jazz has to change to remain relevant. So, lets take a quick look at these statistics and tell me if you know a ton of people who are dancing to Jazz these days? What about any of the Top 7 on this list? I think this is relevant to the question because it has to do with the type of music people are engaging with and the types of gigs people can expect to get. I there is no direct engagement with people (like dancing) you are likely playing a background role in the entertainment of the evening. I think we can all know that if you want to make money, you have to engage the booty. Which means, if you don’t want to be part of the scenery, do something to make people notice and don’t give their feet a choice but to be tappin’. That being said, there is nothing wrong with live ambience music; it is more relational than Muzak.

·
Registered
3,930 Posts
Hmmm, I think you're pulling those numbers from the "Album Consumption" table on page 20 of this report;
https://www.digitalmusicnews.com/wp...7/BuzzAngle-Music-2018-US-Report-Industry.pdf

I think there's some skew there if you read the fine print at the bottom of the table which says;

Total Album Consumption (Album Project Units) = Album Sales + (Song Sales/10) + (On-Demand Streams/1500)

This suggests they are counting a certain number of song sales and demand streams as "albums". When you look at pages 22 & 23 you see that by percentage much of the consumption of the more popular genres (pop, R&B, Hip-Hop) is via streaming and not actual specific album sales - an area that jazz seems to hold its own.

I'm no statistician and in general am a believer in Mark Twain's take; "There are 3 types of lies; lies, damn lies, and statistics." - but looking at that info and reflecting back on the Consumption vs. Sales stats on page 7 showing consumption increasing significantly while sales are decreasing due largely to streaming, suggests to me that much of popular music consumption is by moochers using streaming services. At least the classical, jazz, and to a bit lesser extent rock consumers are still actually willing to pay for music directly by buying the albums.

In the end I'm not really sure what any of it means but I've played a lot of wallpaper gigs and FWIW I'm glad people are not hiring rock bands and hip-hop artists to do them.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,361 Posts
In my book, popularity does not equal high quality, and rarely do the two co-exist.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Amusingly enough I wasn’t pulling the from there and on top of that my other job is is as a financial and business analyst. All statistics are directional.
The point was simple though, the market for dollars people spend “Jazz” is low; like it or not. The question had to do with is it viable... well Lenny Pickett didn’t think it was viable 30+ Years ago.. and obviously neither did Brecker or many other, jazz musicians. They supplemented with other types of gigs. I guess you could call Paul Simon Jazz but the music industry wouldn’t; ergo not everything Brecker played was Jazz. I’m saying a gig is a gig. Some gigs you’re the side dish and some gigs you are the main course and the dessert. If you want main course gigs you gotta be at the right restaurant entertains people with thing they are interested in. If you want to go to a jazz jam by all means but they won’t pay as much. If you want to be scenery playing jazz by all means.

·
Registered
3,930 Posts
Amusingly enough I wasn’t pulling the from there and on top of that my other job is is as a financial and business analyst. All statistics are directional.
The point was simple though, the market for dollars people spend “Jazz” is low; like it or not. The question had to do with is it viable... well Lenny Pickett didn’t think it was viable 30+ Years ago.. and obviously neither did Brecker or many other, jazz musicians. They supplemented with other types of gigs. I guess you could call Paul Simon Jazz but the music industry wouldn’t; ergo not everything Brecker played was Jazz. I’m saying a gig is a gig. Some gigs you’re the side dish and some gigs you are the main course and the dessert. If you want main course gigs you gotta be at the right restaurant entertains people with thing they are interested in. If you want to go to a jazz jam by all means but they won’t pay as much. If you want to be scenery playing jazz by all means.
Yeah - I'm with you here. I wasn't trying to argue that jazz is any sort of real money-maker but my observation has been neither is anything else unless you really "make it". One of the other things that report said was that some huge amount of the consumption or money spent on albums went to the top 500 albums. When you think about how many records are made each year, which used to be something like 35k, you realize most of the money in music is going to something like 0.01% of the artists. Since your chances of making it economically speaking are pretty slim regardless of what genre you're in you may as well play what you enjoy.

·
40,339 Posts
Jazz may be dead but the discussions about it being dead are alive and kicking for years and years ....:cool:;)🆒🆓

and so on

Reactions: Airflyte

·
Premium Member
584 Posts
Jazz may be dead but the discussions about it being dead are alive and kicking for years and years ....:cool:;)🆒🆓

and so on
I'm gonna read all of those threads!

·
40,339 Posts
cheers! it will take some time :unsure: ;) , they have left things unresolved anyway

Reactions: JL

·
40,339 Posts
The “ living” are the ones writing them, but the “ de cuius “ ( the one that is all about) lays in a coffin while they are read to others mourning him.

Jazz is not dead, but its function and impact has changed

181 - 194 of 194 Posts