Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at getting my "The Martin" alto repadded over the summer. I'm contemplating Roo pads and the saxgourmet roo pads (black). Is there really any difference between the two other than the color? Would Roo skin work best on Martin tone holes or should I go tradition leather? (I'm concerned the harder pad might not seal well on the Martin style tone holes.)

My sax instructor and repaiman swear by them on vintage selmers, just wondering if anyone had a Martin sax redone with them.:?

·
Distinguished SOTW Columnist / Forum Contributor 2
4,202 Posts
I have roos on a variety of horns. White roos are on my 1952 Buescher Aristocrat Tenor and Amstrong Heritage alto. Black roos are on my 1952 Buescher Aristocrat Alto.

Now here's the weird one: Black and white roos on my 1969 Selmer Mark VI tenor. Why? It came down to the fact that I originally had the horn done with black roos and hated the feel of the right hand so I had my tech replace them with white roos. Personally, I have found that I prefer the feel of the white roos. The black roos are very firm while the white roos are much softer feeling when closing the keys. I believe this is mainly due to the firmness of the felt used. The black roos can be almost percussive in nature while I find the white roos to be very quiet.

I'm very happy with these pads and have had them on horns dating back to the early introduction of them to the market.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
35,038 Posts
The greater fraction of a repad goes to the labor - pads and resos are relatively cheap. Invest (you did say it is a Mk VI) in having it done well. I can attest that the hard (black) pads can make it more demanding to get a good seal. Hard pads installed by a mediocre tech are a disaster - but they still look nice.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts