Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a "late bloomer" and currently living in an apartment with neighbors. So, jSax seem a good option to start - people say it is quieter than a real sax. One issue - some say that it has not quite "saxy" fingering and also it might be easier to play with a better mouthpiece (Yamaha 4C maybe?).

There are no renting options near my home and I don't have any friends to borrow a real sax from.

I'm still in doubt. Do you know any better option than jSax?

·
Registered
121 Posts
JSax is more a toy than a real sax. It's a nice toy, comes close to a sax (with a few deviating fingerings).
And it is rather loud, not easy to play quietly with it

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, but the question is - can I get a better "sax toy" for the same money (about 100$)?
The most popular places (Amazon, Thomann, my local music shops) don't offer anything better and I'm afraid to buy a used one because there's no warranty nor returns and I might not notice some serious defects or get some counterfeit. So, I guess not much choice here.

About the inability to play quiet - maybe that could be fixed by Yamaha 4C Soprano mouthpiece (if it fits)? Or is it an issue of the entire construction? Still, some Youtubers reported that it sounds not that loud as an alto sax.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Why take money away from your eventual sax? If your plan is to play the sax, $100 might be 1/3 to 1/5 the price of your first one. I suspect the volume difference isn't going to be enough to prevent you having the same problems to solve as if you got a sax anyway. 4Cs aren't famous for being quiet (which isn't to say they're not quieter than some others.)

As the homeless uncle of an ex-girlfriend of mine supposedly used to say: "go big, or stay home." 8-}

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I guess my current goal is to stay home and stay small :D Just to see if I can do it and if I enjoy it.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
7,125 Posts
Go for it then.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I have one that I was thinking to sell, I bought it a month before I got my alto
For tootling around on it's fun, if you are above little kid size you will really need to get the neck extender.
For a little 'toy' it can be played loud.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts