Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just obtained a spare vintage Selmer alto neck. Based on the badge on the front I assume it is either a BA, or SBA, but there is no serial number on it. Is there any way to tell one way or another which era it is? Is there even a difference?

Thanks!

·
Registered
166 Posts
The silver neck on the left is a 1950 SBA And the lacquered neck on the right is a 1937 BA.

You can visually see the SBA neck is longer...at least as far as these two necks are representative of the two models.

When you measure the length from the neck end to the cork end from the underside of the neck, the SBA measures 7 1/8” vs 6 7/8” for the BA.

When you measure the length from the neck end to the middle of the octave pip from the underside of the neck, the SBA measures 4 2/8” vs 4” for the BA.

The SBA is therefore 1/4” longer.

The diameters of the two are, interestingly enough, identical. The neck ends are 2.4 centimeters and the cork ends are 1.4 centimeters in diameter.

I don’t know how consistent necks are within these models. I only have these two horns to compare. I don’t know how else to distinguish them as they look identical except for the measurements.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The silver neck on the left is a 1950 SBA And the lacquered neck on the right is a 1937 BA.

You can visually see the SBA neck is longer...at least as far as these two necks are representative of the two models.

When you measure the length from the neck end to the cork end from the underside of the neck, the SBA measures 7 1/8” vs 6 7/8” for the BA.

When you measure the length from the neck end to the middle of the octave pip from the underside of the neck, the SBA measures 4 2/8” vs 4” for the BA.

The SBA is therefore 1/4” longer.

The diameters of the two are, interestingly enough, identical. The neck ends are 2.4 centimeters and the cork ends are 1.4 centimeters in diameter.

I don’t know how consistent necks are within these models. I only have these two horns to compare. I don’t know how else to distinguish them as they look identical except for the measurements.
Thanks, if that is any indication, then it would appear this is an SBA neck that I've got, which is kinda what I suspected.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Some years ago I had the opportunity to try a 52 or 53k SBA neck on my 29k 1941 BA Tenor Sax. I don't recall that the lengths were different (maybe they were and I just didn't notice). The tenon diameters seemed to be the same as each neck fit the other Sax well. My clear recollection though is that in this particular case, each horn played 'better' with it's own neck.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I do not know what the 2 stamp on the neck tennon represents but I have seen it on the handful of Series 2 Dorsey Altos. Here is a pic of three necks, Lacquered BA, Silver SBA, Silver Dorsey Series 2 Alto from 1939.

The glare makes it hard to see the 2 stamp at the top of the Dorsey neck tennon.

I should also mention the SBA is a French-engraved horn, not American.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts