Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I go from my Protec case (tenor) that has the flute pouch on the side to just taking my flute and I always have to transfer my flute to another case. Is there any such thing as some kind of case that has a detachable pouch for other horns?

·
Registered
669 Posts
So your Protec has a built in flute case that doesn’t detach? I’m a bit confused. The Protec case I see a lot has a big pouch that a separate flute case fits in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
Yes but it seems to me they were pretty rare as most who wanted to carry flute & clarinet used something like the more standard Selmer tray-pack cases. I had a teacher in the 90's who was the typical reedman back in the day playing in lots of big bands and pit bands. He had one of these slim-line zipper style tray-pack cases. Notice in the 4th picture there are two sort of "C" shaped extensions attached to the lid of the case on the right side above where the palm keys would be on the sax body. These were sized for handling a French flute case that you could just slide in there.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Selmer-Mar...174070333584?_trksid=p2385738.m4383.l4275.c10

·
Registered
895 Posts
So your Protec has a built in flute case that doesn’t detach? I’m a bit confused. The Protec case I see a lot has a big pouch that a separate flute case fits in.
I am likewise confused. I have both the Protec alto and tenor cases with flute pockets, but I just insert or remove the flute case into/from these pockets.

Do you mean that you don't want to have to transfer the flute case itself from the Protec pocket to a different case cover?

If so, I know that there's a case manufacturer (though I don't remember which one) that lets you velcro various different accessory pouches (including cases for doubles) onto the outside of the case, but I'd be worried about the security of that solution and of the possibility of having the attached pouch come loose.

IMHO, you don't really need the case cover/flute bag. I often just throw the naked flute case into a backpack.

·
Registered
5,473 Posts
Yep, the tray-pack cases have two clips that hold a flute case (if you have the rounded "french" style flute case).
\
Personally, I jsut have a collection of cheap duffel bags and I put the flute, instrument stands, stand light, and whatever else needed for that day's gig or rehearsal into the bag. I have a couple that are long enough to hold a soprano in its case.

I wouldn't mind having one of those flute & piccolo together cases, but I don't want it bad enough to track one down and actually buy it. I'm too busy right now trying to get a better case for the bassax.

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
I treat my flue very well and carefully since it's more fragile and expensive than any of my saxes (excluding Mk VI sop).

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have the original old Haynes case and it does fit into the flute pocket, but it's not a very good case- broken in two at this point. So, I have to put my flute in a different case when I just need flute. I wouldn't think that there'd be many cases/covers that would fit in that pouch that I could just take out and go- especially with a strap. The vintage case looks like the compartment is pretty small, like the size of my old Haynes case, so I'd have the same problem. I don't think there's a product with a detachable flute case, but it would be an entrepreneurial idea I guess.

·
Registered
5,473 Posts
The "french" style rounded flute cases are readily avaiable for a reasonable cost from a variety of vendors. Any brand will fit as long as it's for low B or low C depending on what your flute is. I'd consider just spending the $100-150 on a new not broken flute case, "French" style, and declare victory.

Although I've been carrying my piccolo in a case wrapped with a piece of venetian blind cord for 30+ years now; but you know me, I don't have very good taste. I paid $75 for the piccolo way back in '82 or so - it's an old Yamaha plastic body metal head with pretty much all the plating off the head and the body has a big crack fixed wtih epoxy and wrapping it with black thread. I don't really feel like buying a new case for that.

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
I have had a couple or three tray-pak cases, and I stopped using them for doubles when I got a salesman's sample case. This was right around the time that I started playing a bunch of doubles for show bands, so I needed SOMETHING... Wasn't cheap, but it works well.

I always felt a little shaky about both my saxophone and the flute in those clips, and was glad to stop using the tray-paks. I switched to a contour case for both alto and tenor, and was perfectly fine for transporting all horns to the gig.

·
Registered
5,473 Posts
Before I started using all the duffel bags, I had an old rectangular tenor case that was surplus to requirements, so I tore all the innards out of it. It was sized just right to take the soprano in its case, the flute in its case, and a couple of instrument stands. That was a band where I was playing lead alto, so the alto case in one hand and the former tenor case in the other was well balanced and made for one trip.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I go from my Protec case (tenor) that has the flute pouch on the side to just taking my flute and I always have to transfer my flute to another case. Is there any such thing as some kind of case that has a detachable pouch for other horns?
Doesn't the Protec case fit the Protec flute case in the pocket?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Sorry to revive this year old thread, but which protec cases have a flute pouch? the peak performance?

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,878 Posts
tripac case

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Sorry to revive this year old thread, but which protec cases have a flute pouch? the peak performance?
"Peak Performance" model is BAM, not Protec. And yes, it has plenty of room for a flute (and the kitchen sink), but doesn't really have a flute pouch per se. Looks like every current Protec tenor case with the possible exception of the PB305CTBX should hold a french style c-foot flute case in the external pouch. I've carried one in every Protec case I've had for the past 25 years at least.

The Protec PB305WL has external pouches for flute and clarinet. But it was discontinued years ago. You may get lucky and find a used one, but don't hold your breath.

I wouldn't bother with the old Selmer tripac (traypack?). While they had spots for flute and clarinet, they didn't offer nearly as much protection for the horn itself as modern cases, and they were heavy.

·
38,878 Posts
Protec still mackes a Protec TRIPAC ( both alto and tenor version)

·
38,878 Posts

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
Do you have a link for the tenor version?
https://www.musiciansfriend.com/acc...c-case-for-tenor-saxophone-clarinet-and-flute

Doesn't look like it's available anymore. IMO there really isn't much advantage to this design having separate cases for flute and clarinet that just fit into outer pockets of a large bulky tenor case. The alto version is sort of a new take on the old Selmer Traypack design which to me makes more sense. If you're going to have the flute and clarinet in their own separate cases you may as well just carry them in a large duffel or similar but I suppose it depends a lot upon the type of gigs you play.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts