Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
6,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey folks,

I'm soon going to be the proud owner of three tenors, and so, as both Eddie Vinson and my wife say, "somebody sure has got to go"!

I'm thinking about trying to sell my silver King Cleveland tenor on SotW as a complete package. It will be ready to play "out of the box," and the price will include shipping, a good case, a good vintage mouthpiece and lig, a brand new strap, and a box of reeds.

This is a good tenor: it's an early version of the 615, I guess, but it clearly came from the factory where the Zephyrs were being built. For example. it has a Zephyr style neck.

The bottom end is killer (easily as good as my Martin), and, with the right mouthpiece put on properly, has decent intonation top to bottom--I've been using it for about two years and the folks I play with say it sounds more in tune than my Selmer SA80 did! Tone matching on the first four fundamentals is no problem, and if I make sure the neck and piece play a concert E, the horn plays in tune with the piano in my practice space very readily. Middle D and Eflat play a little venty, which I think is normal for horns of this vintage (early 40s), but the rest of the horn, including the palm keys, is very consistent. The silver plate gives this horn a suprisingly bright tone--although still very vintage--and it simply roars with my Link STM.

It has a front F and a g# trill.

The only real drawback is the very heavy low C-sharp key--but actually I find the left pinky work on this horn to be no worse/harder than that on my Martin.

The mouthpiece will be a very nice Brilhart Tonalin 5 with a good vintage brass 2 screw lig (and/or a Rovner dark). This is a valuable piece in its own right, and it is the perfect match for the King: these horns simply will not work with many modern pieces, but it's a whole new ball game with the right old, large chambered piece.

Anyway, I know these horns don't have much market value, but I don't want to just give it a away either. This is not a starter horn (although it was my starter horn), but it would, I think, make a great back-up tenor or would be a nice cheap way to get a vintage set up for somebody who has only played modern Selmer style tenors. Any suggestions? Should I even bother?

I'm thinking $500 for the package, including shipping and insurance (which for me adds up to about $70).

If anybody is interested, I'll bring my point and click down to the club tomorrow night and get somebody to make some clips. Despite my lack of skill, the old King is playing great right now.

Rory

ps. here's a clip from March 2006
Click here to watch St-Pattys-Day-Tipitina

·
Banned
2,206 Posts
That sounds like a great deal, seeing how the MP has got to be worth at least $150 or more if it's vintage. The 1940's H.N. White Cleveland's were made with the same body tubes as the 1940's Zephyr's and Zephyr Special's, so they have that same rich SBA-like bebop tone (vintage, but not too light or dark--just right). As such, you can achieve a modern as well as a vintage sound on them. I think that's why most bebop players switched to playing either King's or Selmer's by the late 40's. Aside from the improved keywork, they were just the most modern-sounding horns available at the time.

And it's true that the King's, like Martin's, are unfairly maligned in the intonation dept. My 1956 Zephyr tenor has excellent intonation for a vintage horn, with just high F being just a tad sharp (and that's probably my fault more than the horn's).

Good luck with your sale, Rory!

·
Distinguished SOTW member
4,673 Posts
I'm no looking for a tenor but i'll pass the word around (to my students), the price is very interesting.
You're in Canada right ?

ps.....watched your clip, is that Bruce Cockburn on bass?:lol:

·
6,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the input folks--very helpful.

Hey Altoblues: your pm inbox is full!

Rory

·
6,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
1 - 5 of 5 Posts