Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yeah, I know this looks like a silly question. "Practice"is probably what most would answer. I'm comparing one horn against another. I have this Pan American alto with a new total OH and it's "stuffy". I put the same mpc. on my '29 Conn "Chu" and the sound just comes out, no resistance. No, I didn't leave the cleaning rag in the bell. I've tried several different pieces, always comparing...same conclusion. Is there any thing that can be done to improve the Pan Am? Would a different neck help? Or is it time to paint it and hang it up on the wall? (the lacquer finish is quite worn). Any suggestions?

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2012-2015
5,878 Posts
You need to have it checked for leaks. This can make a huge difference in playability.

·
Forum Contributor 2016, Distinguished SOTW Member
12,793 Posts
It could just be the sound of the sax. I have a student that has an old alto. I can't remember the brand. He has a very nasally tone on it. I've tried to help him get rid of it but it's still there. When I play the sax I get a similar nasally tone to the notes. It's been to the repair person a number of times and there are no leaks.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
6,862 Posts
Could some of the key heights be too low?

·
Banned
3,665 Posts
Hi Sandy

Those great Conns just jump with sound. I think a lot of horns would be stuffy next to those free blowing Conns.

I suspect that you could spend a lot of time trying to get somewhere on that Pan Am and still not get the sound or feel of that Conn.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Joe. It's funny, but I have a similar vintage Pan Am tenor which blows free and easy, (the reason I wanted to try the Pan Am alto). Looks like the alto is a wall-hanger.

·
Banned
3,665 Posts
Hi Joe. It's funny, but I have a similar vintage Pan Am tenor which blows free and easy, (the reason I wanted to try the Pan Am alto). Looks like the alto is a wall-hanger.
I really believe as the horns get smaller, a lot of small things (besides the usual suspects-leaks, key height, etc) impact the way they play and sound- necks, neck angle on altos, more. I kind of think that the bigger horns don't show those differences so dramatically. I think they are there but not to the degree that the smaller horns seem to give them up.

Good luck

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah, I'm playing the Conn exclusively, but I put quite a few bucks into the Pan Am and was hoping to get it going. I'm pretty well convinced to quit trying on it. Maybe I can sell it as a lawn ornament. :bluewink:

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
564 Posts
The Pan Ams are Conns (most of them). There is a leak somewhere on the horn. I have a full set from C soprano to bass and they play like a Conn should if set up properly!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Champion of the C-Me
2,057 Posts
The Pan Ams are Conns (most of them)...
Glad you said that Doc - I was just winding up to defend them. I have a couple of PanAm's that play really well, shouldn't be that much of a difference from 'Conn Conns' just 'cos the toneholes aren't rolled :bluewink:

You're gonna need a bigger leak light, and then some Rizla papers, Sandy. I know you mentioned it's had a "new total overhaul", but I guess you can't lob it back at the whoever did it - if it wasn't you ?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Don't forget to have the regulation checked.
I remember reading somewhere (Stephen's book?) that bad regulation can make a sax "stuffy".

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks guys! I'll take it to a different tech. No, I didn't do the OH. What's "Regulation"?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,033 Posts
It is probably just some small leak up top like the small C# pad. Regulation would make sure it closes when it should. It may cover well on its own but the keys(s) that move it may not be doing their job. Trade it to me and I will make it work! A Pan-Am should play as well or better than a Conn. Usually only some lack of keys, microtuner and rolled TH.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Halleluia!! Bruce, you have given me new hope! I did the cork grease thing last night and I'm sure it made the difference. I compared the response of both the Pan Am and the Conn "Chu" and there seemed very little difference! I used some Plumber's tape around the neck tenon and it fitted quite easily into the main body. There must have been air leaking from here. Thanks to all who have contributed to solving my problem! SOTW is the greatest!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
6,862 Posts
Halleluia!! Bruce, you have given me new hope! I did the cork grease thing last night and I'm sure it made the difference. I compared the response of both the Pan Am and the Conn "Chu" and there seemed very little difference! I used some Plumber's tape around the neck tenon and it fitted quite easily into the main body. There must have been air leaking from here. Thanks to all who have contributed to solving my problem! SOTW is the greatest!
Oh man...if you can fit tape in there, that is a very loose fit indeed!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts