Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I like vandoren V16 alto Reed, but experience that it is partly large differences in thickness from box to box. I wonder if Rico has a cut that is comparable to the V16, with a thicker tip and a longer pallet?

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,008 Posts
No, I don't think there is.

To be literal, you could certainly compare various rico reeds to a V16 but I don't think you'll find a comparable rico. i could be wrong.

·
23,008 Posts
All the V-16's are all the same thickness ...
Good point. I don't understand the OP statement about 'large differences in thickness from box to box.' I've played V16s for years and never noticed anything like that. All cane reeds have some inconsistency by their very nature, but not in terms of thickness.

·
2,077 Posts
I think he just means that he notices differences in VIBRANCY from reed to reed. Many students conceptualize this as "thickness" because they think that the reed simply must be thicker than the others because its so stuffy to blow. As soon as young players learn that all reeds in a box are not created equal, the sooner they can realize they need to "select" the good ones (by play testing - you can't tell by looking, other than the obvious damged ones- which are rare) and not bother with the lame ones.

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
19,201 Posts
I think the OP wants a reed with more 'heart', but it's hard to know sometimes.

Rico Reserve's might be worth a try. They have a similar long, thick heart.
You may try looking for a chart on line that compares different reeds. That may give you a better visual to go by.

·
23,008 Posts
EgilF, if I read you correctly, you are saying you like the V16, but some of the reeds don't play well for you. So you're looking for a similar Rico reed where all the reeds in the box will play well. I've tried a lot of brands, and you simply won't find a brand where every reed plays really well; I think the V16 is as consistent, or inconsistent, as other brands. I'd suggest if you really like V16s, then just select the best ones, do a little work on 'second-best' ones to get them playing better (be sure to allow break in period in any case), and toss the few that don't play. You'll have to do this with any brand.

·
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
EgilF, if I read you correctly, you are saying you like the V16, but some of the reeds don't play well for you. So you're looking for a similar Rico reed where all the reeds in the box will play well. I've tried a lot of brands, and you simply won't find a brand where every reed plays really well; I think the V16 is as consistent, or inconsistent, as other brands. I'd suggest if you really like V16s, then just select the best ones, do a little work on 'second-best' ones to get them playing better (be sure to allow break in period in any case), and toss the few that don't play. You'll have to do this with any brand.
This is an old thread I had forgot about. I switched to red java 2.5 and did a minor adjustment (refaced) my alto mpc, and I have a perfect match where I use 99% of the reeds. The "V16 problem" I had in February, I think was because I had a box bought from U.S. and another bought here in Norway, and they were almost half a number different. I spoke with Vandorens representative in Norway, which meant that it could be because of storage at different humidity for a long time. Anyway, no rico for me ;-)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2012
3,095 Posts
Ironically, LaVoz is the original reed with such a design; Vandoren launched the V16 to capture that market.

·
2,077 Posts
Funny that you liked the V-16 then picked a diametrically different reed in a red java in the end. Glad you found something you like.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts