Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a software that basically has the same features as GarageBand for Mac, except that its for PC. Are there any such softwares?

·
SOTW Pragmatist
2,900 Posts
I'm looking for a software that basically has the same features as GarageBand for Mac, except that its for PC. Are there any such softwares?
How about a real program instead? Get in on this deal while you can, because this app will soon reign supreme.
http://www.reaper.fm/

·
Registered
594 Posts
I also use Reaper and recommend it. In face you can make Reaper look very Garageband-like using one of the user-made themes available.

The guys who wrote Garageband wrote ACID many years ago and you can still buy it from Sony. If you download the demo or look at it's product page you'll see the similarities.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
4,881 Posts
How does BIAB (PC) differ from GB(Mac) ? I can see Reaper looks like something for real music production...

·
Registered
28 Posts
It's much more sophisticated for serious musicians but not as easy to use (actually not very hard but less of a toy interface meaning you can get as sophisticated as you want with it.

You can download a demo version of it and try it out yourself.

http://www.pgmusic.com

Here is a sample:

http://www.kara-moon.com/index.php?play_song_id=4766

Sample done with Band-in-a-Box using a Ketron SD2 synthesizer for the solo instrument. The accompaniment is done by what BnBox calls Real Tracks -audio snippets of musicians playing combined in a clever way to create piano, acoustic bass, guitar etc. Very similar to what Garage Band does I think.

Dan

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,337 Posts
Band in a Box and Garage Band are two completely different programs that do completely different things. GB is a basic digital recording studio, while BIAB generates accompaniment parts for any chord sequence. While it is true that they have some overlapping features, i would not consider them equal in scope.

·
Banned
28,511 Posts
Garage Band is not P.C. In any way. :bluewink:

Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
7,921 Posts
Apple computers suck. I know because I'm typing on one :)
Anyway, Reaper and Tracktion are nice and cheap alternatives to Garageband and will work on PC.

·
Registered
658 Posts
You just earned yourself 10 choruses on Scrapple from the Apple, 10 more on Adam's Apple and 10 on Apple Honey :mrgreen:
Otherwise get the soap!

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
Anyway, Reaper and Tracktion are nice and cheap alternatives to Garageband and will work on PC.
"Cheap alternatives" ? How much cheaper is there than free ?

Buy a Mac - and get GarageBand for free with it.

·
Banned
28,511 Posts

True that!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,365 Posts
Mixcraft is the direct replacement for GarageBand on the PC

Start there
You got there first- Mixcraft pretty much IS Garageband....

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
7,921 Posts
You just earned yourself 10 choruses on Scrapple from the Apple, 10 more on Adam's Apple and 10 on Apple Honey :mrgreen:
Otherwise get the soap!
I wish I understood this.

GB may be free but the Mac is not :)

·
Banned
28,511 Posts
The one fly in the ointment.

Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk

·
Registered
658 Posts
I wish I understood this.
Ok, you just said "Apple computers suck. I know because I'm typing on one". I don't think that's a very decent thing to say without argumentation. So i thought you might be better of playing some music.....

What would you say to someone who would post "Charlie Parker, Wayne Shorter and Woody Herman suck. I know because I listened to a record of them" ? That would be a rather uninformed statement, right?

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
After a few cheapie/free options (Audacity, MixPad, Sony Acid, Studio One) I've settled on Reaper. http://www.reaper.fm/
Works on PC, Linux and Mac plus it can be made portable: install on a USB and use it anywhere! (depending on your plugin requirements of course...)
Easy to learn, isn't bloat-ware, and you can evaluate it without any restriction for 60 days (then you're supposed to buy it...)

V

1 - 20 of 32 Posts