Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Forum Contributor 2012, SOTW Saxophone Whisperer,
3,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is not an invite for taking orders. This is more of a discussion if I should take the next step towards taking orders?

Question #1 - If I made them, are there people out there who would buy them? I can find other online that are doing similar, but sometimes the customization might not be there. As long as people provide good measurements, I can make what they ask for.

Question #2 - So for the same $5.00 per roller, and you (any person for that matter) provide the OD and ID measurements, along with exact length (reasonable length for 1 roller) is that reasonable to ask?

Question #3 - Should I market it as any kind of set? For example: Right hand pinky's, Left hand pinky's, combined?

Musicmedic had pearls and now they are "out of stock". What I can make is acrylic so they are not as fragile as pearl but can look just like it. This is all a manifestation of finding a new supplier of acrylic rod that I like better than the "woodcraft" acrylic pen blanks I use to use.

Thought? Go!!

Below are 2 pictures. 1 is all the colors available (I can also get pure black) the other is a roller I made for a Conn soprano yesterday. View attachment 243478
View attachment 243480
FYI - that roller was made from the stock that is in the 1st picture, 2nd row, left end

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
The colors are beautiful and probably there are many people who would like to change the rollers color according to their tastes.
From my point of view, however, the operation would make sense if there is the possibility of having also the buttons of the same colour as well as all the rollers

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,919 Posts
The colors are beautiful and probably there are many people who would like to change the rollers color according to their tastes.
From my point of view, however, the operation would make sense if there is the possibility of having also the buttons of the same colour as well as all the rollers
I agree, matching collar and cuffs.

Its wood possible? I would be interested.

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
I had a similar idea a few years ago, but it was to make and sell key "pearls" once I got a lathe. Turning the plastic "rod" down to the correct diameter and cutting each disc to the proper thickness wasn't too difficult. However, it took a great amount of time to polish the face and sides of each to my satisfaction using the same abrasives and polishes used by pen turners.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,847 Posts
At $5 you certainly have a shot ( especially if you keep the sending to a simple envelope and consequent cheap postage). The choice is really beautiful :)

I would be interested myself

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,430 Posts
Any chance of doing the tapered Selmer-type out of the black material?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,938 Posts
I am interested - I like the orange, blue, red, purple stock for my silver horns (all one color per horn).

Tapered is a plus.

·
3,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wood is possible. I have to look into that. Got ideas of what kind of wood specifically?

Finger pearls (buttons) are kinda interesting. If I had the horn here and I could do it myself, I'd say its a possibility. To make a set of finger buttons that somebody could put in themselves would be a bit more complex as many brands have the edges rolled over the pearl (button) to hold them in place.

Polishing is seeming to go well and I think I may have a handle on that aspect.

Doing tapered ala Selmer style is possible but might be a little more expensive as it may require a little bit more to set up on the lathe.

I'm still in the thought process, but with the wood ideas, please give me examples of what you would like to see, then I can have a better idea if I can source it.

Thanks. Keep the thoughts coming.

·
3,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
just did some checking - wood is possible. Most kinds of exotic woods seem affordable enough to stay close to that $5 per roller range, but would still have to see which is thre harder wood that would be easier to machine.

·
Premium Member
564 Posts
just did some checking - wood is possible. Most kinds of exotic woods seem affordable enough to stay close to that $5 per roller range, but would still have to see which is thre harder wood that would be easier to machine.
Grenadilla from old clarinets may be suitable. Just don't cut up any good ones!

·
Registered
1,207 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician.
3,196 Posts
I think there's a market for ones that look like mother of pearl as there are so many old horns that had the pearl ones cracked. It's nice to have them looking original.

Personally I like some of the other colours too- the orange and red/ black ones could be cool. They might look good on a black sax. I like the marble ones too.

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
For woods and plastics and all other related material, there is an excellent company near where I live. Wood Turner's Catalog Whenever I go there I am like a "kid in a candy store". If you are not familiar with it, you may want to check it out.

·
3,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So I'm moving forward. I ordered some supplies, so I might be making some.

I'M STILL NOT TAKING ORDERS YET!!!

My first round (as an experiment) is going to maybe be for Moderators on SOTW - you guys don"t get paid for doing what you do so as long as your not in a hurry as I figure out how I'm going to do this, Black and Pearl rollers are what I'm going to start with (among a couple other colors including what I hope comes in as a Buescher orangish color.

So Moderators tell me what you want (black, pearl, or orange). I'll see what I can do with tapered rollers (if that's what you want). If you can give me a diameter, inside diameter for the hole, then tapered or not. As far as SAXISMYAXE has told me, there are 5 of you that are moderators, and he gave me your names, and I'm pretty sure I have your SOTW names. Only thing I ask is that you pay shipping and tell me what you think. You can PM me.

Here is what I did tonight - it is 5mm on the nose. FYI this Conn soprano I'm doing has 4.75mm rollers. I have a MK VI alto and a Mauriat Tenor and Series II Bari I can measure.

Moving forward!!

View attachment 243716

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,847 Posts
keep the rest of us posted

1 - 20 of 48 Posts