Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I must either have GAS or I'm on a complete makeover thing as far as saxophones go... Does anyone have any experience with the YBS 61? I know it's not made anymore, but I've found a pretty incredible deal (well that's actually what I'm asking you folks for, is it incredible?) and if people who've played them can offer me some feedback, I'd love to hear it!!! Here are some photos from the shops website of the horn:

http://www.brassandwoodwind.ca/YamahaYBS61Bari_82XX.html

THANK YOU EVERYONE!!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2008
830 Posts
very good horn, and it looks like a great deal too!

EDIT: Apparently my price assumption was off. Not a good deal?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,875 Posts
61's were the predecessors to 62's. They're very similar. A bari player friend of mine swears by his 62. He later bought a Mark VI, kept it for a year, then sold it because he was always playing the 62.

·
Registered
841 Posts
During the 61 run there was a recal of sorts due to bad placement of an octave pip. If you look at pics of the first horn you can see a pip between the high E and F toneholes. Moving the pip here was a Yamaha factory modification and if you look at the horn in the ebay auction you can see that the pip is in the original spot. I wouldn't bid on the ebay auction because that pip hasn't been re-positioned, I'd go for the first if I were you.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
2,063 Posts
TenTenTooter said:
During the 61 run there was a recal of sorts due to bad placement of an octave pip. If you look at pics of the first horn you can see a pip between the high E and F toneholes. Moving the pip here was a Yamaha factory modification and if you look at the horn in the ebay auction you can see that the pip is in the original spot. I wouldn't bid on the ebay auction because that pip hasn't been re-positioned, I'd go for the first if I were you.
I did not know that. Thanks for pointing that out.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm just looking for better ergos on a bari. I LOVE the tone on my series II it's just the key placement is KILLING me. esspecially the reach to Low C. I was thinking Yamaha's would be perfect for me because I played a YBS 52 all through High School and College and it felt great. No problems hitting any of the notes and the tone and intonation were right on too. I guess I could get a YBS 52 but If I could get my hands on a 61 or even a 62 for not much more, I'd do that first.

·
Registered
35 Posts
yeah i looked at the first link, wow she's beautiful. i'm assuming the 61 has a high f#? i have a 52. man, that looks like a good deal.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts