1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys
I just found this good 875 (not ex) and I wonder if it is a good horn
I know that the 875EX is a REALLY good horn,
but how bout the original? Players your thoughts would be really helpful.
Thanks

·
Registered
121 Posts
Yes

i've played all of the 875 series horns and they are KILLER horns. so to answer your questions, hell yes it's a good horn. probably a better buy than the -ex right now because you probably get one in great condition for less than a new -ex. i highly recommend it. i own an 875 alto, and have never had anything but love for it.

·
Registered
102 Posts
my alto and tenor are both below the 7,000 mark in serial numbers on the 875 and you can set these horns up to be just about anything. my alto has the black roo pads with the crazy looking resos and if I put anything with a baffle on my alto I'm pretty sure I could make ears bleed. My tenor...bone stock...put a rubber link on there and its just like stan getz is playing (except for the whole my chops thing).

I played them both through music school and played on both sides of the horn (legit and jazz) and I've played in rock, funk, jazz, jam and blues bands in between.

I honestly can't justify the price of a 6 when my horns play as well, or better, and I think they're very comfortable horns to play.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
jstin4all said:
I honestly can't justify the price of a 6 when my horns play as well, or better, and I think they're very comfortable horns to play.
I have a 6 and a yam 875...

I gig the yam!
Inherently a bright horn I would say...but still a monster and particularly mouthpiece friendly when experimenting so many seem to work well.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,331 Posts
I had a 875 for about two years,,sold it to buy a Z,,biggest mistake I ever did! The 875 was way better,in tone,, ergonomic,but mostly a beautifull dark and nice sound !!The Z just desapointed from day one! Sold the Z in about three months!!! If I would buy another Yamaha tenor,,it would be an original 875.In my opinion the old 875 are GREAt saxes!!
All the best
Saxobari

·
Registered
194 Posts
I've got an 875 tenor that I got new in 1994. Last year I decided to try out some new horns including the Z, Ref's, Ser.III, and Cannonballs. I was expecting to be tempted by the new ones, but I was surprised, even shocked, to realize how well mine stood up. I know, I've grown up with this horn, but even when I was being as objective as possible, I couldn't find a horn with a better core sound, intonation, and even response.

I still have the M1 neck that came with it (with a ding), even though I've played the G1-UL and loved it. The M1 makes the horn a bit more resistant and sweet while the G1 (and G2 and G3 if you ever happen on one) has a more wild "hairy" sound. Totally different and equally viable vibes from the same great horn.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,331 Posts
Sambeau,keep that baby!
I made the mistake to sell ind,,it was a great horn,,though i had an overhaul done and paid by Yamaha cause my 875 had really bad pads,they were so sticky that I had to bring the horn every month to have it looked at fixed,,so after a while I made a complaint to yamaha that agreed to add a complete overhaul no cost,,also oone of Montreal best reputation did the overhaul,and did a fabulous job,,he did put thinner pads,and after that man the horn came alive! before that the horn was dead! Anyways,,i am sure you read my former post that I got a Z,,to my desapointment!
Too late the 875 was gone!!
In my new search now I am very very happy with my other tenor,,a 9 years Serie III which I really love also!
I have no regrets getting that III,a fabulous sax,,just as much as my 875 was!So I would'nt hesitate to get another 875,,but my preference was a Selmer,like my baritone!
All the best
Saxobari

·
Registered
194 Posts
Oh yeah - sorry if there was confusion, there's absolutely no way I would sell the old girl. It's so solid on all fronts and has what I consider to be a very important feature of any great horn - it is fairly mild in character while still being flexible, so I can really make the sound what I want it to be (thick/thin, loud/soft, fast/full-bodied, etc...)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts