Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't heard too much noise about it from new owners. I'm playing a new YSS-475 am I missing anything noteworthy? Thanks!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,361 Posts
I've been semi-interested in the new Yamaha Z myself, but I can't explain it. I'm just interested in sopranos of all vintages. I'm guessing that as long as your 475 plays in tune, that's pretty much it. The rest is mostly the player. DAVE

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thundering silence!!!

·
(formerly borganiboy)
5,566 Posts
I remember a thread like this about the Z altos and tenors,i would bet my live on it the Z soprano is also an amazing horn.Yamaha took a long time perfecting the z sop.I have not blew 1 as yet but i know it will sing,thats what Yamaha horns do best.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Played the 82Z & 82ZR Soprano's a few weeks back in lacquer and Silver Plate. Horn Connection LA had one of each which just arrived. Manny had set each one up. I preferred the Silver Plated versions and felt they sounded slightly richer and fuller than the lacquered counterpart. My favorite was the Silver straight neck. Each of the horns were extremely comfortable, sounded great and the intonation was spot on. They were however heavier than the purple logo 62 he had in the store which had just been overhauled with new pads, etc. However, I brought my Yani 991 to compare to the Z's and truly felt the Yani was simply a bigger, fuller, richer sound with more power. Brian, Manny's sales person felt the Yani had the slight edge as well. Nevertheless, the kicker is the old purple logo 62 killed me. It was truly the most amazing richest most powerful soprano in the store and even had an edge over my Yani.

The new Z reminds me very much of a one-piece 901 Yanagisawa soprano and the design is remarkably similar in many ways. Anyway, I like the silver straight neck version of all of them and feel Yamaha did well with the horn. Incidentally, I was using a Selmer SS I Mouthpiece, Standard Selmer Paris Lig. with LaVoz Med. Reed.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
878 Posts
I'd be interested to know how the 82z compares to the 875EX. I'm a fan of one piece designs and I have a feeling that the 82z is going to be killer.

·
Registered
697 Posts
I thought it was amazing but already play the original 62R and it would only make sense that I would like a new and improved version of my baby! I have gone back and forth on the curved or straight neck as a favorite but did prefer the Silver plate. I think the lack of noise is coming from the slow release. Seems not many have even played them yet....

·
Banned
3,665 Posts
I played the two 82Z sopranos at NAMM in January.
They were both superb and were the best horns I've ever played in terms of feel and response. It was pretty amazing, actually.

For me, the sound on both was just too refined and gentile, with the straight version having a bit more jump to it, but not enough to make me want to play one a regular basis.

I had a very good 62R at the time and I thought the 82Z was the better horn for feel and sound.

·
Registered
54 Posts
i cant tell you much about the sopranos but i do have an 82 z tenor and its is pretty amazing. a little bit stuffy, but maybe because ive only had it for a week. the z line is the top of the line as far as yamahas go. The real difference between 82zs and 875s is that the 82zs are darker. as always, try it before you buy it!

·
(formerly borganiboy)
5,566 Posts
i cant tell you much about the sopranos but i do have an 82 z tenor and its is pretty amazing. a little bit stuffy, but maybe because ive only had it for a week. the z line is the top of the line as far as yamahas go. The real difference between 82zs and 875s is that the 82zs are darker. as always, try it before you buy it!
I had 4 Z Tenors and none were stuffy,amazing free blowing beasts.I think yours may need a tweak for leaks.I had alot of yamaha horns and they all sing with great zing .

·
Forum Contributor 2012, SOTW Saxophone Whisperer,
3,214 Posts
We just got an 82Z Soprano into the shop to sell - unpacked it and played it this morning - two words.....

HOLY COW!!

·
Über Geek, Forum Contributor 2010 Distinguished SO
3,841 Posts
I'm sure liking mine. I think that if you're playing a 62, the Z may or may not appeal to you, but coming from a different horn, this is an huge step up. Compared to my 875, this one is a lot lighter and speaks FAST.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've had one on order since Feb. Tried several demos at the TMEA conference in San Antonio, then placed the order. Thought they were fantastic.

You're not hearing much from folks because I suspect a lot of us are still waiting for them. I've been told mine arrives next week. I ordered the straight neck, silver plated.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I will say I haven't played a soprano that better sticks to the 0 on a tuner like glue. I think that's why I robotically choose expensive Yamahas even though my skill level isn't "worthy" of it... being told about bad tone is subjective and wouldn't bother me as much as being told I'm not in tune, which is a basic matter of competence. And the keywork is to die for.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I posted this in a different thread, but thought it might be of use to post here too.. (is that ok to do re forum moderation) anyhow,

So, i went to sax.co.uk yesterday, tired out the 82z.. Hmm it was cool!

I tried it against the 875 ex that was in the shop, they gave me the version with the curved neck, but I'm very familiar with the 875 so i can make a basic comparison..
Both lacquered versions, the 82z was the straight model.

my first impressions, the 82z seemed a lot brighter than the 875, the 875 has a darker more solid sound, the 82z slightly more free blowing..

After about 15-20 mins i started getting more caught up in the 82z, it seemed more versatile in comparison, very definitely more free blowing.
i think I prefer the action on the 875 ever so slightly, but because its so natural for me (again Ive played one for 20 years) I think the difference is minimal.
As I compared them the 875 started to sound a bit boxy and more limited, I was actually surprised that the 82z started to reel me in sonically, it could play loud with authority, whisper quiet too. (I had particular fun doing Jan Garbarek impressions, the tone reminded me of what a good Mk vi tenor can do, i know is subjective, but a purity of tone seemed to be easily attainable, the 875 more coloured i think)
At the top the 82z had the edge, I found from top C above that the sound was stronger.
So in essence i suppose 875 ex, darker, more solid sounding, maybe slightly better action,
82z brighter, more free blowing, ever so slightly more even that 875.
i think possibly that the 82z is a little closer to the sound of the yanigisawas, maybe slightly harder/punchier than the 875.

Overall I really liked the 82z, it was a fun, and inspiring instrument to play. My one reservation was that the darkness of the 875 has suited me well, and that maybe I'm impressed by the different tone (of the 82z) because its new/different but i have to say it played great!

·
Registered
923 Posts
I spent some time blowing a bunch of sopranos a couple weeks back, including three different 82Z's (1 lacquer, 2 silver) and an 875EX in silver. All the Z's were straight necks, and I had the straight neck attached to the EX. My overall impression was quite different from jakethesax's...I found there to be a lot of resistance in the 82Z (this was true of all 3 horns) vs. a distinct lack thereof in the 875EX. Intonation on was spot-on throughout the entire range of all four horns. In terms of sound, rather than dark vs. bright I'd characterise the 875EX as spread and the 82Z as focused or compact.

Ergonomics were great on both horns - the layout of the 82Z felt quite similar to my 62 alto, whereas the 875EX (logically) felt much like my 875 tenor. Gotta say it was a draw - I really had no preference. I felt initially like I might be able to get around slightly faster on the 82Z, but some time spent on the EX would even out that difference.

I have to say I was disappointed in one aspect of the 82Z - one horn (the lacquered one) had a sticky low-B key, that didn't want to depress easily. It felt maybe like someone had bent it out of position - perhaps this happened on the showroom floor (quite possible), but if not it marks a lack of attention to build quality that I did not expect from a Yamaha. The other three horns were up to typical Yami standard, ie. perfection.

If I had been there to buy, the horn I would have walked out of the store with would have been the 875EX. I put this down to how the horn blew with my setup on it - my Vandoren S25 is a fairly resistive mouthpiece, and coupled with the similar nature of the 82Z I really felt like I couldn't get the kind of volume and projection I wanted out of it. The EX was a horn I felt I could really scream on if I wanted.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts