Sax on the Web Forum banner

Is the Selmer Paris showroom worth a visit?

• Yes

Votes: 9 45.0%
  • No

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • Stay home and practice!!!

Votes: 9 45.0%
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Forum Contributor 2015, SOTW Better late than neve
4,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Next month, Mrs TJ and I will be vacationing in Paris for a few days. There's plenty for us to see and do and not much time to get it all in. So, I was wondering if a visit to the Selmer Paris showroom is worth the time? I have no GAS left for a new horn. I'm happy with what I have. Still, I'm sure it be interesting none the less.

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts
I think you're going to have to change your moniker now to tj&mrstjontheroad. :bluewink:

TJ, Paris is a wonderful city and you can't not have a good time there. I don't know just what kind of activities/taste you and your wife have, but you can lose all track of time in the Louvre, itself. Or do the club/cabaret scene like a trip to the Crazy Horse. And with all sorts of things to do between these two extremes. Too much city, not enough time. With just a few days in Paris, I wouldn't eat up much time doing activities separate from my partner.

If you could schedule activities doing other things that allow the two of you to swing by the Selmer showroom briefly, I'm sure you would enjoy it. But to sacrifice too much time away from the lady in Paris to see the showroom, well I wouldn't make that trade - unless, of course, you just can't stand certain kinds of shopping that she loves, then that's a different ballgame.

So my vote would be an unwavering "maybe not". [rolleyes]

·
4,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think you're going to have to change your moniker now to tj&mrstjontheroad. :bluewink:

TJ, Paris is a wonderful city and you can't not have a good time there. I don't know just what kind of activities/taste you and your wife have, but you can lose all track of time in the Louvre, itself. Or do the club/cabaret scene like a trip to the Crazy Horse. And with all sorts of things to do between these two extremes. Too much city, not enough time. With just a few days in Paris, I wouldn't eat up much time doing activities separate from my partner.

If you could schedule activities doing other things that allow the two of you to swing by the Selmer showroom briefly, I'm sure you would enjoy it. But to sacrifice too much time away from the lady in Paris to see the showroom, well I wouldn't make that trade - unless, of course, you just can't stand certain kinds of shopping that she loves, then that's a different ballgame.

So my vote would be an unwavering "maybe not". [rolleyes]
I visited Paris before about 15 years ago. This trip I want to see some things I missed last time. But you're right to say the showroom isn't the A-list place to visit. It's a rainy day or Tuesday (when the Lourve is closed) thing.

·
Forum Contributor 2010-2016
1,706 Posts
I think it would be worth a visit. I've seen photos and videos of the current showroom and I must say it's different from "my day". I went there in 1976 to buy a MkVII. There was no "showroom" then.

I was pretty much left in the reception area trying to make myself understood. Eventually the impatient receptionist must have realised that English was my native tongue because she asked a very nice young man to help me. He spoke perfect English with a midwest American accent and introduced himself as Patrick Selmer. He took me to a booth where I tried one and bought it "sans bec" because I had my Berg Larsen 100/0 metal mouthpiece with me.

I wasn't offered a range of horns to try and there were none on display. I asked if I could see some of the factory but he said no, that wasn't allowed.

So, what was originally a bit of a pilgrimage turned out to be a bit of a fizzer, although I did turn up unannounced and I was not a "name". Still, I can say I've been to the factory in Paris and met Patrick Selmer.

·
Forum Contributor 2007-2012, Distinguished SOTW Te
3,314 Posts
Original Adolphe Sax technical drawings and letters? A Selmer Balanced Action C-melody? A curved Selmer soprano? Count me in. Just make an appointment. They get testy if you don't, even though they don't need to do anything for you to be there.

There are some photos from my visit on my website.

I would also recommend visiting L'Atelier du Globe, Sax Machine, and the Vandoren store (lots of amazing sax music and literature you won't find elsewhere).

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,077 Posts
Years ago when the economy was different, players could pay for a trip to Paris with the savings they would earn buying it over there. How is that now?

·
"King In The Castle" & Distinguished SOTW Member
2,664 Posts
If I were you, I would visit the showrooms or factories of SML, Buffet, Leblanc besides Selmer. In particular, now that Buffet bought Keilwerth, it would be interesting to go and see what sax Buffet is going to make.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
If I were you, I would visit the showrooms or factories of SML, Buffet, Leblanc besides Selmer. In particular, now that Buffet bought Keilwerth, it would be interesting to go and see what sax Buffet is going to make.
Woody Allen pays a visit to the Buffet factory in the documentary 'Wild Man Blues'. Looked pretty cool. He has one of his clarinets re-bored (?) which he later remarks drily 'made absolutely no difference'.
At the factory Woody tries to sweet talk his way into buying one of their museum pieces. Embarrassing. Good movie though.
I'd definitely check out Selmer, Buffet, SML... no way my wife would want me to though.

·
4,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, I never made it to the Showroom. To many things to see and not enough time. I had a friend of mine who speaks French try and make an appointment for me. Selmer put him on hold for almost 20 minutes on an international call and he gave up. Add that to the fact I'm really GAS'ed out and happy with my stuff. So, I did a pass on this trip. Maybe next time...

·
27,650 Posts
Well, I never made it to the Showroom. To many things to see and not enough time.
That's a nice problem to have, what? Would you care to share some of the highlights of the trip with those of us weren't able to fit into one of your suitcases? :notworth:

·
4,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That's a nice problem to have, what? Would you care to share some of the highlights of the trip with those of us weren't able to fit into one of your suitcases? :notworth:
Highlights you ask :) The food, wine, cognac, macaroons, sitting in a Saint Michel cafe feeling the vibe, the Rodin, Louvre & Orsay Museums... These and much more. I love Europe. Mostly, giving my wife a great trip for her birthday was the best highlight.

·
27,650 Posts
How romantic. Can't beat that!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
25,993 Posts
What would that be sir?
Oh, sorry I missed that. But if you do go some day, legend has it that Selmer keeps a handwritten book with a record of each VI they've produced, and in it they note the finish. Someone else had visited there and took a picture of the page with their horn listing the finish as "noir". I just had a couple numbers to look up.

·
4,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Paris is way too nice to bother with looking at saxophones.
That pretty much sums it up. Before leaving, I watched a couple youtube showroom vids and was underwhelmed at the idea of making time to get there. Maybe if lines for all the tourist spots I went to were shorter I'd could have made it. I must have spent 2-4 hours waiting in lines. Next time, I'll go in winter (when it's my birthday).

1 - 20 of 23 Posts