Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been playing tenor and alto for 7 years throughout grade school and I recently purchased a Jean Baptiste Student Soprano Saxophone and when I go to play a low C# with the typical fingering the note that plays is just low C. Is my horn busted? Or am I not aware of some unique fingering for soprano sax?

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,922 Posts
Should be the same, your horn is busted. But easily fixed in all likelihood.

Could just be a spring (off its peg, too weak or - less likely - broken) or sticking pad, you will probably see that the key is not actually opening.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,431 Posts
Stuck C# pad or spring off its hook. Just pull the pad up - if it has spring tension it was just stuck. Clean the pad with drugstore alcohol on a cotton swab. If it doesn't have spring tension and is just floppy, work your way back from the pad and find the unhooked spring and re-hook it. It could also be a broken spring which would require taking to the shop. The C# tends to stick on the Chinese sopranos - every time I go to play mine it's stuck.

·
Registered
8,030 Posts
Look down at the end of your sax. Push the key. See if it pops ups. The easy thing with soprano you can actually see if it moves..

·
Registered
266 Posts
I have been told by my favourite technician that, on soprano, C#, F# and G# are the usual suspects as sticky pads; and despite my regular cleaning routine, C# and G# keep being sticky on mine most of the time I start to play. As previously mentioned by others, a broken/lost spring can also happen... (I had it happen once after the horn endured high variations in temperature, in this case cold temperatures)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts