Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yo. I’m playing a berg Larsen SMS 2 105 on a sa80.
Is the MBII worth buying, I’m trying to get a more Michael Brecker feel to my tone and I know like that he didn’t use that and all that but what do you think?

·
Registered
8,039 Posts
You can sound like Brecker on a C*. It’s concept. Sit down and play along and really listen and try to emulate his sound.
I’ve tried to do this with his early recordings when he played a Link.
I would imagine you could get his later sound on a Berg.
Brecker on a Link. His solo starts around 5:38.

https://youtu.be/gt9L5WofcYk

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,580 Posts
You can sound like Brecker on a C*. It’s concept. Sit down and play along and really listen and try to emulate his sound.

Yeah he sounded pretty much the same after switching to the Guardala, it was just a lot easier to blow. If it weren't for the medical issue, I'm guessing he probably would've never switched off the Link.

PS- good luck sounding like Brecker =P

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah he sounded pretty much the same after switching to the Guardala, it was just a lot easier to blow. If it weren't for the medical issue, I'm guessing he probably would've never switched off the Link.

PS- good luck sounding like Brecker =P
Thanks :) I know that I’ll never sound as good as him but the thing that worries me is that I have like Monday ex mouthpiece if you understand what I mean. That I can sound even better on another one. But you think it’s not worth buying?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,580 Posts
Thanks :) I know that I’ll never sound as good as him but the thing that worries me is that I have like Monday ex mouthpiece if you understand what I mean. That I can sound even better on another one. But you think it’s not worth buying?
I may not be the best person to ask, because I have bought and sold a LOT of mouthpieces here and will probably continue to do so. But it's a rabbit hole I wish I didn't go down. The truth is, I sound like "me" on everything I try, it's the FEEL of the mouthpiece that changes. So my concern for you is, you buy this MBII and end up sounding the same and start shopping again.

Whaler's advice, ultimately is good advice. If you can stop yourself from NEEDING to buy a new mouthpiece, please do. Listen to lots of Brecker and transcribe his solos, focus on how he phrases things and get that sound in your head. You will naturally start heading in that direction.

·
Registered
5,901 Posts
Is the MBII worth buying, I’m trying to get a more Michael Brecker feel to my tone and I know like that he didn’t use that and all that but what do you think?
You won't get Mike's sound by switching mouthpieces alone, you have to change your concept and copy the way Mike phrases by listening to him and transcribing his music a lot. Also, a lot of people feel that he sounded better when he played his Otto Links than on the Guardala so listen to him on his earlier recordings. I might add, toward the end of his career he was alternating between one of my Hollywood models and the Guardala, a MB I, not II. You can hear him play both the Guardala and the Phil Barone on a Kevin Mahogany recording called "My Romance". He's on two cuts, on one he plays the Guardala and on the other he plays the Hollywood. Good luck! Phil Barone

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You won't get Mike's sound by switching mouthpieces alone, you have to change your concept and copy the way Mike phrases by listening to him and transcribing his music a lot. Also, a lot of people feel that he sounded better when he played his Otto Links than on the Guardala so listen to him on his earlier recordings. I might add, toward the end of his career he was alternating between one of my Hollywood models and the Guardala, a MB I, not II. You can hear him play both the Guardala and the Phil Barone on a Kevin Mahogany recording called "My Romance". He's on two cuts, on one he plays the Guardala and on the other he plays the Hollywood. Good luck! Phil Barone
Yeah I know I won’t sound like mike, I’ll never sound like him but thank you for the advice. I think I sometimes use gear as a excuse why I don’t sound good so I think your right.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I don't think it's worth it to buy an MBII. There are lots of great mouthpieces out there that will help you get the sound you are looking for, but you will need to work directly on your sound (long tones, overtones, etc.). I'm really enjoying my metal 10mfan Robusto right now. For me on my Yamaha ZII it's a little darker than most Brecker fans would want. Good luck!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
7,356 Posts

Not that I'm saying it couldn't be done.... I however would love to see somebody attempt to imitate Brecker on a C*.

I think we'd all have a good laugh.

Gear does matter. At least a little bit.

You don't want to play a set up that is the polar opposite to the type of sound you are trying to go for.

·
Forum Contributor 2016, Distinguished SOTW Member
12,802 Posts
How long have you been playing and working on sounding like Brecker? Can you push the Berg in that Brecker direction of sound when you play Brecker lines and licks? A Berg 105 SMS 2 isn't that far from the MBII baffle wise so I should think that you should be able to get a Brecker type sound out of it. If you can already do that and have a lot of Brecker lines and vocab down in that style the MBII might make it easier for you to get there but no one can say without you trying it and seeing. If you can't do all the stuff with the Berg ala Brecker I mentioned above then the MBII will probably do squat for you..........

·
Registered
1,611 Posts

Man, I love those recordings of Brecker with Hal Galper! Wonder if there are any unissued takes from those sessions that might eventually see the light of day?

Interesting to know MB was on a link at that point. Has anyone ever put together a list of what Brecker was playing on at various points in his career? I'd be interested just out of fanboy curiousity: I'm past the point where I thought I could get that sound just by switching mouthpieces.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Not that I'm saying it couldn't be done.... I however would love to see somebody attempt to imitate Brecker on a C*.

I think we'd all have a good laugh.

Gear does matter. At least a little bit.

You don't want to play a set up that is the polar opposite to the type of sound you are trying to go for.
I know what you're saying and I can't imagine getting my sound out of a C* either but check this out on a C* and a battered old student model Conn: https://youtu.be/TNiNoR3cA7M

·
Registered
8,039 Posts
Man, I love those recordings of Brecker with Hal Galper! Wonder if there are any unissued takes from those sessions that might eventually see the light of day?

Interesting to know MB was on a link at that point. Has anyone ever put together a list of what Brecker was playing on at various points in his career? I'd be interested just out of fanboy curiousity: I'm past the point where I thought I could get that sound just by switching mouthpieces.
Not unissued takes, but I have a bootleg from Bloomington Indiana with Bob Moses on drums.
Incredible and I was sitting right in front of him.
If I had known better I should’ve quit. He made it look easy. Little did I know...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
7,356 Posts
I know what you're saying and I can't imagine getting my sound out of a C* either but check this out on a C* and a battered old student model Conn: https://youtu.be/TNiNoR3cA7M
Damn.

Alto is a really different beast though. C* is actually only medium closed. I'd be interested to know the size of reed. If it was only a 2.5 I'd be surprised.

·
Premium Member
15,496 Posts
I don't know what you guys are talking about!!!!!
I got an MBll and sounded EXACTLY like Michael Brecker! lol :)

Because of that, I just picked up the same golf clubs as Tiger Woods..... here's to hoping'....

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,961 Posts
I don't know what you guys are talking about!!!!!
I got an MBll and sounded EXACTLY like Michael Brecker! lol :)

Because of that, I just picked up the same golf clubs as Tiger Woods..... here's to hoping'....
Be careful of possible side effects, Mark. Does it say anything on the label about issues with bad backs or anger? :shock:

Wishing you all the best.

George

1 - 20 of 30 Posts