Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
otto link super tone master 6*
Clearly you can tell I am clueless to the sax. A mom looking for her son-
Is this a mouthpiece and if so is it a good one. Comes with a selmer bundy II- cosmetic poor- plays, no leaks for $200.00:?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
13,025 Posts
This may be a very good mouthpiece, as well as a valuable piece. It also might be a pretty good door stop. Quality control is pretty erratic with these pieces and some can be very very good, others extremely bad. Theo Wanne has a website which helps identify which piece you may have. They run from $50 up to $XXXX in price.

Good luck, and welcome to SOTW.

·
14,268 Posts
atthezoo: Yes, that is a mouthpiece - a metal Otto Link mouthpiece. Some like them, some don't. They are generally decent.

You failed to say for what size saxophone.

Mouthpiece choices are VERY personal and it is best if the player makes the choice. The saxophone you listed may be worth $200.00 if it plays.

Many parents try to get in cheap - you and your son would be better off if you raised your sights a bit. We'd need more info before trying to help you.

Like, where do you live? Where does your son live? What is his skill level? Where does he play, if he does? What size saxophone (soprano? baritone?, etc.). What does he have now, if anything? DAVE

·
12,709 Posts
If this is a tenor and even if it is a stock Otto Link the price is good. However, make sure someone who knows horns looks at it first. Just because it seems to have no leaks doesnt mean it doesnt. Also you dont want to go throwing in a pad job in 6 months either our your deal will be one no longer. On Ebay a standard Link in that size will go for $70-$90. Obvioulsy that is near half your investment. Again, make sure someone who knows something checks it out.

·
Registered
397 Posts
It's really never worth it to buy mediocre gear of any sort. Your son might get discouraged and quit, and in the long run you might lose money trying to maintain/upgrade a cheap horn. $200 bucks for a sax is a bit too cheap, even for a beginner...in my opinion.

·
Banned
4,517 Posts
Personally, if it is a mouthpiece that has some serious worth to it. I would buy the horn for the mouthpiece. Then sell both, and get a better model. You have a few options, when you start looking alittle bit more than $200. Almost anything that cost $200 is going to need some serious work. Make sure you polish it up, and stick it on E-bay. Then get Either:
YAS-23
Kessler Custom
Antigua Wind

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2010
3,310 Posts
saxdude48 said:
It's really never worth it to buy mediocre gear of any sort. Your son might get discouraged and quit, and in the long run you might lose money trying to maintain/upgrade a cheap horn. $200 bucks for a sax is a bit too cheap, even for a beginner...in my opinion.
True enough, but sometimes you win. If it really is playable, doesnt leak and doesnt need an immediate repad, then $200 for a bundy II with a link STM is a good deal. I paid $200 for an Antigua 520, came with a near mint Selmer S80 c* It was a very good deal for what is my front line alto, and the Antigua is way better than any yamaha twenty something that I've come across. I dont use the selmer mouthpiece much , by coincidence I play a bog standard recent Link STM 7, which I got it from a SOTW member for $60 to give an idea of minimum value. Im thinking a 6* might be a bit open for a total beginner. Its not clear if the end user is just starting out or not.

The danger is, if you dont have any idea about saxes then $200 might get you nothing but headaches, especially for a total beginner. I took an educated chance and was lucky. A bundy II (Im assuming its an alto) could easily be worth 200, especially if the link mouthpiece is not one of the lemons out there, but it could (and very likely does at that price) need a full overhaul and some pads, and thats going to run to several hundred more before its playable.

If this is for someone starting from scratch, then the $200 might be better spent on a years rental, at least you know you are getting a horn thats good quality and in playable shape, so any problems are likely to be the player and not the horn, and that makes life far less frustrating for junior.

Once he can play a bit, then its easier to make an informed choice on what is and isnt worth $200 to buy.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts