Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My search found it alluded to, but is it true?

I've got a RIA 5 metal on my alto and I like the the nasty edginess of it. I'd like to warm/fatten it up a bit, but after not playing for 12 years I know better than to fall prey to mouthpieceitis (as Mr. Teal would say)

I've listened to some old recordings and I would like to keep that tone and just fatten it up a bit. So I'll work on my mechanics, try a harder reed and open my mout up with a mouthpiece patch.

·
Registered
8,979 Posts
Production stopped under the RIA name in 2002 or earlier. The maker, Mr. Rino Peverelli, was selling under his own Peverelli name in Italy. But I have not seen any of them.

You can try a dark sound reed, like a synthetic Legere.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Don't really want to get into the synthetic reeds. Just dont get me started on synthetic conga heads:Rant:

I've got about 4 boxes of reeds left over from when I quit playing to work through. Between my memory and the fact that I found them in my reed guard I was using Vandoren Java 2 1/2's. I've also got some Rico Royal 3's that I haven't tried yet. Looking at the reed strength chart the Java 2 1/2's weigh in at 2. Two different mouthpiece charts put a RIA 5 at 0 and 90 so I measured it with calipers and came up with 80. It seems that the Java 2 1/2's are a little weak for this size opening. What do you think?

I'm basically happy with my set up and just want to tweak it a bit. Not that I don't eventually want to step up from my YAS52 eventually. I'm glad that I found this board because it's making me think about improving my technique, and not just continuing on the way that I used to play. Kinda cool that I get to start over again actually.

Back on topic: I played my RIA for at least 15 years and have always been pretty happy with it. So I was just curious to see if I could buy another, in case I wanted to have a pro tweak it a bit some day and keep mine in original condition. I just can't see going through mouthpieces the way some people do on here, although it's fun to read about:)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts