Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please redirect me if this has been discussed elswhere....But is the ref 54 a better alto design? Sort of like balanced actions and SBA horns- most people love the the tenors (I would kill for one) but the altos are not so desirable. I seem to see a lot more discussion about the 54 alto so it got me wondering.

Any thoughts?

I ask because I just tried a Ref alto and loved it! -but I'm a tenor player and wouldn't buy an alto. I'm in Dubai, so I have to go to Europe to buy a new sax, but I've been giging enough that it might be worth it. I've got a great Borgani Jubilee, but I've always wanted to pair it with something a little more focused

I'm just wondering if t

· Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2008
4,008 Posts
When discussing altos and tenors it's best to discuss each one on its own.

I don't know but when people are talking about say a 54 tenor and then someone comes along and tells us they love their 54 alto, it not only has no relevance to the original topic it actually destroys the flow of the thread.

So to answer your question.

Yes the Ref 54 tenor is a great horn.

Yes the Ref 54 alto is a great horn.

IMO these horns alone have killed my gas for the older selmers that have gotten totally obscene in prices and beyond the reach of most common folk.

For me I like my Ref 54 tenor better than my VI and my VI will be sold just as soon as the prices go up a little more, so I can by that 2009 Corvette convertible I been needing.

· Distinguished SOTW Member
4,127 Posts
heath said:
For me I like my Ref 54 tenor better than my VI and my VI will be sold just as soon as the prices go up a little more, so I can by that 2009 Corvette convertible I been needing.
Nice:twisted:

· Registered
1,117 Posts
Originally Posted by heath
Wow, Mk VI's have gone up in value.:shock:

Seriously, the Ref 54 Tenor is a great horn, I am very happy with mine.
The Ref 54 Kookaburra Alto is a great horn, I'm extremely happy with mine.

Is one design better than the other, across alto and tenor? I don't pretend to know, but I do know I have two great saxes.:)

· Registered
147 Posts
In response to what Nathan61 said, I have a reference 54 tenor and Borgani Jubilee alto. When I brought the alto I was convinced that it apealled to me more than the series 3 selmer, but there were no reference 54s or series 2s to compare it to. The consistency of tone throughout the range, together with the tone, intonation and keywork on my selmer tenor appeal to me far more than the same attributes do on the Borgani, which is odd as I've always been more of an alto player, until recently. If the reference 54 alto is as good as the tenor then I think I'm missing out. I had the chance to compare my Borgani to a series 2 alto the other day and it had the more centred tone, which was more even across the range that I've been trying to tease out of the Borgani. Like Nathan I think that some days the Borgani's great but other days I want a more centred sounding instrument...Hmm I'll have to track one down and test it out.

· Distinguished SOTW Member
2,290 Posts
Of course this is a matter of opinion, but IMHO the Ref 54 alto is a better alto than the Ref 54 tenor is a tenor.

I say this because having played many many MKVI's (and owning four), I would say that it would be harder to find a MKVI alto that I preferred to a Ref 54 alto, than it would be to find a MKVI tenor that I preferred to a Ref 54 tenor.
However, I'm sure I would prefer some '6' altos to some '54's' and some '54' tenors to some '6's'. Hope this makes sense!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.