Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 213 Posts

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It’s Wednesday night and I don’t have to work tomorrow, so I’m having a couple of beers and contemplating my horn collection. I’ve paid $10,000 for a horn before, but it really seems crazy if you think about it. What are your thoughts? I think a top 1% Selmer is worth it....plus it’s a lot cheaper than the Saxgourmet Category 5 BS.

This discussion is open with exception of being told to “buy a borgani” or “use the search function.” The mods will ban you if you do that ;)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,943 Posts
Have you tried a Borgani? :twisted: :borg:

·
Registered
129 Posts
A bit, but there is nothing wrong with being crazy.

And are we speaking about modern, handmade instruments or vintage ones? I understand the high price of the former, not the latter.

Personally, I would not pay that much for an instrument. My music school has a EUR 10,000 Selmer bari, which does not sound or play better than my EUR 1,750 Martin. If the school offered an exchange, I would not take it.

Having said this, I also think that if you happen to be in love with an extremely expensive instrument and you can afford it, you should get it. (And ignore the people who think you are crazy.)

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,875 Posts
If I had $10.000 to spend in saxophones at this point in life I would have Jim Schmidt make a saxophone for me knowing that it would be something extraordinary at so many levels that it would be worth the money.

This saxophone is the most innovative instrument afte Adolphe Sax and Benedikt Eppelsheim.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I am definitely with Milandro on this one. And this would be the only sax for which I would consider spending that much money (but hey, I am neither pro level nor a collector, so...).
On the other hand at this kind of prices, having a $1000+ mouthpiece starts to make sense... eventually. ;)

·
Registered
716 Posts
Not crazy if you can afford it. And that sax might last you a lifetime too. Something is worth what you are willing to pay for it. If it lasts 20 years that is only $500 a year- less than the price of cable TV.

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,941 Posts
Apart from the Schmidt, the only saxophone in that kind of price range I would consider now is an Inderbinen. It's only the waiting list that puts me off not the price.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Apart from the Schmidt, the only saxophone in that kind of price range I would consider now is an Inderbinen. It's only the waiting list that puts me off not the price.
What is it really about Inderbinen that makes them so valuable?

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,941 Posts

·
Registered
708 Posts
For me it is dynamics and intonation
I live a 30 minute drive from their store it turns out, maybe I should go visit.

I realise at this level we're talking about very small marginal improvements over another good horn, such as a Yamaha or Yanagisawa. It's difficult for me to understand how a small difference can be worth so much to some people, but then again I'm not a professional and if it inspires someone to play better I guess it can be actually worth money if this is how they earn their living. I.e. maybe it has some expected return on investment :)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,536 Posts
if you are Warren Buffett then it doesn’t really matter if you spend 1500 or 15,000. But W. Buffett I am not.

For most people including myself it makes a big difference. I know that I can get 90-99%++ satisfaction out of a used vintage Keilwerth or P. Mauriat 76 for under $1700 and NOT have the anxiety of taking a $10,000 saxophone in my house where he could get stolen, or out of the house on the bandstand where he can get damaged etc and lose 1000s in value.

But lots of folks have some combination of Selmer tunnel vision, their egos won’t permit them to be seen on the bandstand with anything less than that sexy vintage horn, they are overly distracted by equipment, and they don’t understand that the music is not in the horn, it is inside of them.

Same is true for cars. I can get a used Lexus for 1/10 of the price of a new BMW Drive across the country and have just as much satisfaction and enjoyment from it.

·
Forum Contributor 2016-17
1,028 Posts
I could see paying more than that for a Conn-O-Sax. But I think the Mark IV market is nuts.

·
38,875 Posts
I could see paying more than that for a Conn-O-Sax. But I think the Mark IV market is nuts.
I think a Conn-O-sax is way more expensive than $10,000 ( if any would really be for sale)

·
Registered
5,468 Posts
It's difficult for me to understand how a small difference can be worth so much to some people, but then again I'm not a professional and if it inspires someone to play better I guess it can be actually worth money if this is how they earn their living. I.e. maybe it has some expected return on investment :)
Professional musicians aren't the ones buying these extremely expensive instruments. Most professional sax players are playing a good quality Selmer or Yamaha "pro model" they bought back in university days.

The market for incredibly expensive boutique musical gear is successful people with a lot of disposable income, which rarely describes working professional musicians.

·
38,875 Posts
actually and famously quinn the eskimo asked $100,000 but it is all academic there are only 30 and most are in collections, as well as being owned by pro’s , which won’t become available for some time

of course most of these are owned by pro musicians and only a couple belong to museums

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,943 Posts
I just paid almost $100 for a Manito conga head. :shock:

But no, I wouldn’t pay $10,000 for a saxophone that I don’t NEED. I have great horns.

·
38,875 Posts
the majority of very expensive things in life ( with few exception mostly to do with medicines and medical treatments) are things that are not, strictly speaking, needed at all...

See anyway the comments in my signature on the cherries in a bowl and the unwillingness of most to share them with others...

1 - 20 of 213 Posts