Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to this forum, and I have a question about an annoying sound. I've been playing alto off and on for 47 years, I started with clarinet in grade school, moved to alto in high school. Played in marching bands, garage bands, and bar bands, but now it's church on Sunday. I recently upgraded from a YAS 26 with a VanDoren A 45 and Dark Rovner to a YAS 62III with a Jody Jazz Jet 7 and Rovner Star Series. I played two 62s at my local store and they just weren't delivering 3 grand worth of response until the associate said 'try this mouthpiece.' I ended up buying one of the 62s and the Jody Jazz (I should have asked the price!). I use D'Addario jazz-filed 2M reeds and VanDoren V16 2-1/2 reeds. After spending that much money on a horn I am taking it a little more seriously now, drying/cleaning after playing, etc, and even going through the Rubank Advanced sax method (which I must have bought 40 years ago).

I love the bright sound of the JJJ 7. But there's a buzz sometimes, that feels like maybe the reed is too wet? If I suck it out, it stops for a bit, but eventually comes back. This is not specific to the Jet, but happened on my A 45 as well, and with both Rovners and a Rico H ligature. I imagine it's sorta gross for the clarinetist sitting next to me...

Any suggestions? Do I need to change something on my setup? Or am I just putting out too much spit?

1 - 1 of 1 Posts