Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just got Guardala King and Guardala Super King tenor mouthpieces from WWBW to try out.

i'm LOVING the biting, easily over-driven tone of the King, but the lower register (low E and below) does not blow well at all when trying to blow softer. it seems that this mpc only likes to be played loud?

strangely, i'm finding it much easier to blow on the Super King. the altissimo notes are coming out effortlessly, and i'm having no issues playing softer in the lower register.

is it possible that i got a poorly laser-trimmed mpc? when i play with the King, it almost feels like the sax has leaks. is the King that much harder to control than the Super King? i'm stumped.

is the ligature to blame (although i'm using the stock ligature on both mpcs)?...
http://forum.saxontheweb.net/showth...-for-Low-Notes&p=343527&viewfull=1#post343527

is the King too "gimmicky" because it's so focused in it's tone?...
http://forum.saxontheweb.net/showth...s-playing-it&p=1461159&viewfull=1#post1461159

THANKS!
---Barry Riffs---

·
(formerly borganiboy)
5,566 Posts
I use a sakshama king and its great all over.Had a laser king and that was very nice,no trouble there.Had a original super king DG,same with that.What reed you using.I find rico jazz select 2 hard to work amazing on DG pieces.Bottom end is so easy.The lasers are very consistent.As for the king i find the studio which is stated as darker much brighter to me.The king has a great compact vibe.Waiting on a new sakshama MBII from him.I had most of the DG models and the RJS 2 hard reed,selmer 402 ligature work a treat.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
yes,the reed is a major issue...

what Ive learned here from SOTW is to have a dedicated reed for your Guardala...DONT swap with your other mouthpiece...the rails are so thin there is little room for variation,and that variation is caused from the difference in your other mouthpiece.

·
(formerly borganiboy)
5,566 Posts
yes,the reed is a major issue...

what Ive learned here from SOTW is to have a dedicated reed for your Guardala...DONT swap with your other mouthpiece...the rails are so thin there is little room for variation,and that variation is caused from the difference in your other mouthpiece.
I used la voz medium years ago with nice results on my DG's but they can be very inconsistent.Guardala and rico jazz select 2 hard unfiled are made for each other,well in my world.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i'm using Rico Plasticover 2.5 reeds on both mpcs. i've been a fan on Plasticover for a while b/c they are very consistent, require no break-in, and are more resistant to cracking and splitting.

should i try 2's or 3's, or is it the crappy ligature (my current hunch)?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Barry, I would try a different Ligature. I play a King and it responds really well, but the ligature does make a difference. I have a Windslow and a Selmer 402. The Windslow is a little more resistant but really even across the registers. The 402 really makes the mouthpiece respond quickly, anything I can play it will do. I am still going back and forth on which I like better. The crappy ligature they give you with these pieces should be thrown out, it really does not help in trying these pieces.

I am playing either v16 2.5 or 3's and they seem to work, they are more alive then the Java's in the same size.

·
Registered
9,141 Posts
WW & BW Guardala LTs are made very consistently. I have measured many of them. They do not have the best facing curve for low note response IMO but each one will be virtually the same. Low note response can be improved with some facing work. But I think you can make adjustments to your reed to get better results too. Break out a Larry Teal reed adjustment chart. I have seen them on the web. You will need to scrape through the black plastic coating on your Plasicovers in the vamp area for better low note response.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for the advice everyone! i guess the next thing to immediately try is a different ligature. i have seen many many posts from people saying that the Selmer 402 ligature is the best option, however, i need to get the RMA into WWBW before Feb 13 to return the mpcs i don't want, so i don't know how fast i could get my hands on a Selmer 402 by next week.

can someone recommend a suitable ligature to try out a Guardala King that would probably be available from a local music store?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts