Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Forum Contributor 2017
7,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What can you tell me about this particular soprano clarinet?

Do you all think it would make a nice jazz performer?

Serial number 154,XXX

Thanks in advance.

B

·
Forum Contributor 2017
7,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Good Evening is this thing on? :)

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
19,200 Posts
I think it would depend on how much of an "overhaul' it needs.
Does it play now so that you can get a good idea of how it sounds and iif there are any intonation problems?
Are the keys 'sloppy'? Any broken/missing springs?

Really, If you like the clarinet and you're willing to put the money into it you should go ahead and do it.
Some of those old Bueschers can be players when set up right.

If you are itching to learn this might be the perfect candidate to learn the fine art of clarinet repads. ;)

·
Forum Contributor 2017
7,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think it would depend on how much of an "overhaul' it needs.
Does it play now so that you can get a good idea of how it sounds and iif there are any intonation problems?
Are the keys 'sloppy'? Any broken/missing springs?

Really, If you like the clarinet and you're willing to put the money into it you should go ahead and do it.
Some of those old Bueschers can be players when set up right.

If you are itching to learn this might be the perfect candidate to learn the fine art of clarinet repads. ;)
Thanks BM. I started on clarinet back in 1975 and played through H.S. but switched to saxophones in College.

The clarinet seems to be in good to excellent condition in Grenadilla wood and the pads seem okay but the spring action seems slow but maybe I am used the "pop" action of saxes.

I can play it with the #4 Gigliotti mouthpiece and #3 reed it came with but I think I will need something with a larger tip opening.

It's a gorgeous looking horn and I really think adding the clarinet back to my arsenal would make me more marketable.

Can you recommend a mouthpiece for jazz?

B

·
19,200 Posts
I really like my Portnoy 3. Otherwise since the Buescher is basically a Selmer 'stencil' you could try a C85-115/120 but they're pretty expensive. There are a TON of good mouthpieces out there that will work. It's just a matter of price and how it works with your horn... But you already know that!

If the action is a little slow it may just need a good cleaning and a lube job.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,960 Posts
yes these are good horns- a selmer signet with a buescher name on it . i played one for 25+ years

·
Forum Contributor 2017
7,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So far it seems to be playing very nicely and has a nice warm tone although not fat enough for me YET. I really like the idea of being able to play Clarinet and appreciate the advice given so far.

I am going to check out a local source for used mouthpieces today and see if I can't fatten the tone somewhat.

B

·
19,200 Posts
My old clarinet teacher used to suggest the HS* or the Selmer Goldentone for the kids that played Selmer Signate 100s' and Specials'.
Most of them used the old Bundy HR pieces. Those are surprisingly good too.
I was on a Buffet at the time so his suggestions were different for me.

·
Forum Contributor 2017
7,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My trusted tech looked at it and said leave it for a week so he can straighten some keys and replace some corks and regulate it.

I am looking forward to working with the horn when it comes back "correct."

B

1 - 9 of 9 Posts