Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Banned
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 6 that nobody wants to work on. it has tons of play in the keys, a couple of the springs won't stay because the holes have enlarged, oh and as the repairman said to me that the tone holes looked filed down. I guess I need to find out if its possible to rebuild the tone holes or is this horn ready to mount on the wall?:(

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,487 Posts
are you in the UK???
if you are please let me have a look at it, even if the tone holes have been filed i can put pieces of card behind the pad so it will reach the tone hole.

i would be more than happy to try to fix it if you want.

Dan

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
2,081 Posts
SearjeantSax said:
i would be more than happy to try to fix it if you want.
Drats. And I was suggesting to mail it to me and I'd have it properly disposed of. :D

·
Distinguished Technician & SOTW Columnist. RIP, Yo
17,204 Posts
Tone holes are filed too far when the pad is at risk of contacting the body around the tone holes, especially as the seat gets gradually deeper with use.

If cardboard behind pads is a solution, then I either re-align the key cups to the tone holes, or use thicker pads.

For some reason I just don't like cardboard. I suppose it is because when I spend far too much time with a pad that has a mind of its own, and will not seal, and I eventually take it out to replace it, there is that segment of cardboard behind the pad, that somehow caused the problem. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
searjeantsax.....judjing by the NZ in large letters by his name i would assume that he's not in England !!!!!!!!!!

·
Forum Contributor 2010, Distinguished SOTW Member
5,076 Posts
Carbs said:
So my name must mean I live in South California. Bet its alot nicer their ;)
South Carolina, pal. Watch your back.

My name means I live in the Rear Republic.

·
Banned
4,517 Posts
I went to England a few years ago, on my way to Germany and on the way back. Nice country though. It was cold to, and that was in July. Kinda wierd.
~Carbs

1 - 20 of 28 Posts