Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to own my first baritone Saxo. I am now considering the jupiiter 593GL model.

Anyone have comment on this saxo?
Does it has a reasonable intonation?

thanks

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,953 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,828 Posts
Its ok,but if you are really going to get into baritone, you may want to look at a different horn"..because after a while the sound might not be quite what you are seeking, i would consider a vintage bari",you would get in for around the same price..might need some adjustments but the sound would be better..

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,828 Posts
You know, there might be a odd" note here or there that plays a littleflat"or sharp" but overall these old horns give a lot of character!,its been regulated by a recognised company and states plays to order..thats worth quite a bit to an old bari, and the pics look like its had a good past!.
Of course without hearing it, whos? to say what the sound is like , but usually these play excellently!, for what they are worth.

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
Depends somewhat on what type of music you intend to play as well. If you are just getting the horn to play in small groups and combos or because you just want a bari almost anything will be fine. IMO, the big issue with vintage horns is that a great deal of music, dance, funk, fusion, big-band, etc. written in the last 30 years require the low A on bari and very few vintage baris have that. Check out the thread on low Bb vs. low A baris for a complete discussion of the trade-offs.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I intend to play in small groups or wind band. Actually, any horn will be fine (but I need a horn with reasonable intonation.)

Thanks for your info, I think I will go for a Low A (just in case).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts