Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,127 Posts
Generally, the VI tenors that bring 10K+ are either 5 digit's or those that are barely past that period (original lacquer being a must to get that kind of price).

Even in (most) retail locations, a tenor from that vintage would be 7-8K tops. IMO it's overpriced considering where the market is at currently.

·
Banned
492 Posts
Man,... that's just stupid crazy!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
3,286 Posts
Short answer: no, that's more than market price for that horn.

Longer answer: if you play it and its your absolute dream horn, you've played other VI's and this one is far better, you're never going to need another horn again, so you don't care about ever reselling it (for a loss), etc -- then it may be worth $10k to you. Sometimes we buy equipment understanding that we're paying more than "market price" but that its worth it to us for an indescribable reason of "fit" between player and gear. So it may be worth $10k to YOU, even if not on ebay.

Absent such amazing circumstances, go back to the short answer.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
2,090 Posts
No. Keep shopping. Check completed sales on ebay to get an idea of fair market value for similar vintgae and condition horns.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
5,528 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
17,981 Posts
...here's a quick answer: with the exception of an original Adolphe Sax sax, perhaps a Conn-O-Sax, or an A contralto....

....no sax is worth that much.

Period.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry for the misunderstanding. I'm not interested in buying this horn. I think the price is absurd. I just wanted to see if others would agree.

MMM, I agree on your long answer analogy. Personally, logic would prevent me from doing such a foolish thing.

·
Indistinguishable Resident Buescher Bigot and Foru
8,588 Posts
But then again, logic won't necessarily prevent this seller from finding someone willing to pay that for it.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,015 Posts
Obviously the answer is no.

Aside from that, I see some red flags on this one, including the inflated price. It has original 'lacker,' one 'ownwr,' an 'on your face' sound, very poor photos, no information regarding playing condition (aside from being in storage for years), and little other info. I suppose the seller could be a poor speller, lousy salesman, ignorant about saxophones, with an unrealistic idea of valuation, but all of that together would eliminate this horn from consideration if I was looking to buy.

Amazing....

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,033 Posts
I saw that one too as I go on craigslist here about 4 times a day looking for a bargain. In the past 5 years, I only found one sax, a Conn Chu in gold plate with new pads AND 2 mouthpieces that I ebayed for a total of $700. I paid a guy in Pompano $150 for the whole deal. Estate sale. I had some VIs over the years and all three of the Martins I have are better and I didn't pay over $1,500 for any of them.
If you are in Ft. Laud, give me a shout sometime as I am always around Miami.

·
Registered
528 Posts
It doesn't seem to have a neck...
at least it has most of its "lacker".

·
Registered
297 Posts
All this deal needs is a phone call. No doubt the seller will offer to meet you in a parking lot behind a liquor store at about 3:00 A.M.__and bring CASH!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,430 Posts
Lacker for a slacker
Don't take a chance, by heck
This deal smells
I doubt it sells
And it don't even have a neck

1 - 20 of 20 Posts