Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
7,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is a question many of us have asked. Did Yanagisawa name their latest models WO (letter o) or W0 (numeral zero)? Today I was looking through materials from last January‘s NAMM show and there was the answer printed right on the Yani catalog: “World Outstanding“. Mystery solved!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,444 Posts
Stupid name. Probably will result in disaster.

·
Registered
5,241 Posts
Here is a question many of us have asked. Did Yanagisawa name their latest models WO (letter o) or W0 (numeral zero)? Today I was looking through materials from last January‘s NAMM show and there was the answer printed right on the Yani catalog: “World Outstanding“. Mystery solved!
Assuming that you are not just being facetious, the fact that the name uses "WO" rather than "W0" was confirmed long ago. As for "World Outstanding," that's an interestingly boastful tagline for Yany, but it's almost certain to be a back-formation, i.e., Yany already had established the letters "WO" in the name, and looked for some words to assign to them. (Maybe just the guy who designed the NAMM catalog did it.) They didn't start with "World Outstanding" and then abbreviate it to "WO." https://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?235769-WOx-WOx0-Naming-A-Success

·
7,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It wasn’t specifically a NAMM catalog. It’s the same
catalog they give all their dealers for year 2017. World Outstanding sounds pretty good to me. Sort of
Like world famous.

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
Sounds sort of like a piece of a haiku and I'd consider it appropriate. Most of the places in the world where Yani horns have been played consider them very good or "outstanding" instruments. I prefer this over the kind of presumptuous statements that would have typically come from an American company like "World's Best".

As far as whether it's good or bad - well it's not easy to market a product across numerous countries and cultures and I can see how a relatively small company wouldn't want to have numerous different numbers or names associated with the same product to keep track of in different markets.

·
Registered
92 Posts
...and it's not like they go out of their way to make sure everyone knows that's what it stands for. Someone has to go digging to find it. I could understand the complaints if they engraved the words on their horns. Or better yet, a hidden onboard wind-powered chip and speaker that would yell it out in 5 languages every 20 hours of play so it was audible over the sound of the horn... no, no hang on, I am being disproportionate. Wouldn't want to do that.

·
Registered
846 Posts
There are some older threads that talk about Yanagisawa’s selection of the name of the new series of saxophones. The threads link to English translations of several Japanese articles.

This is my summary from several sources. Yanagisawa wanted to number higher than 99n to indicate that the new series was a more advanced design, and wanted a numbering system that was more flexible having sort of boxed themselves in. However, instead of going to 1091 or 1001 or something. They liked 00n, pronounced double-O, as in double-O-7, 007, but 001 and 0010 was confusing numerically and 010 and 0001 didn’t fit their naming scheme. So, they resorted to a pun.

In Japanese, double-O and double-u-O are pronounced nearly identically, enough so that they are sometimes confused. So, using WOn for professional level instruments and WOnn for elite level instruments simplifies the number and naming problem.

It adds the difficulty of pronouncing W-O, double-u-O, a mouthful in English. I have a back-at-ya’ attitude about this, so I just say and think WO1, double-O-one, and WO10, double-O-10 and so on. This is both in the spirit of the original naming system and much easier for me.

As for “World Outstanding,” I attribute that to some marketing person. WooHoo!

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Its likely that something is lost in translation.

Its probably good that they just used the initials as most people wont wonder or care.
I sure don't. I mean, what does 10M stand for? I have no idea, and whatever it does stand for (I'm sure someone is about to tell me) isn't going to effect what I think of those horns.

·
7,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
...Or better yet, a hidden onboard wind-powered chip and speaker that would yell it out in 5 languages every 20 hours of play so it was audible over the sound of the horn... no, no hang on, I am being disproportionate. Wouldn't want to do that.
Ha! Funniest post of the week. 😆😆😆

1 - 20 of 22 Posts